myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
O'neil forbebay lost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georges

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

I have sailed ONEIL for years great weekend get away,buy in the last 2or 3 years it has been plaged with low water problems{the weeds you could work around weed fin wave fin ect}Nothing is more hart bracking than pulling up to ONIEL have it blowing 4.5 with no water.I fear we have lost this one for good.
goinoff

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

Yep, it has been typical these last couple of years where the water seems low almost every sailable weekend. Im going to ask the Rangers who we can write too about the problem. Ive heard that the water group that controls the flow through the forebay are real NAZIS and think its a privilege that they let the public use the forebay. Typical gov. a-wipes ruining the day again..
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

Instead of going home with a broken heart, why not sail the big lake??
I know it can be done, not sure why more dont sail it.
goinoff

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

The big lake launches include Goosehead point area and the boat ramp..Additional rules for sailing the upper res include: flare gun, 20 ft of rope, knife and you have to sail with someone. I think people just feel more comfortable sailing the forebay and dont feel like hasling with the additional safety gear.
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

Guns and knives required?? Are there some
territorial fishermen there? :>)

Have you sailed it? How is the wind at the launches, any big shadows?
I have heard the chop can get very sweet.
goinoff

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

Yes, I have and the chop is sweet. Goosehead point (close to the Basalt camp ground) has a dirt road around the base that any car can navigate. There are mulitple pull-outs where you can launch. The tack is toward the dam (the towers you see in the center of the dam) and there are no wind shadows except for downwind of Goosehead point. The wind at Goosehead is generally sweet with a tight wind range (not quite as puffy as the forebay)

The strange rules are a byproduct of our strange gov. who always likes to make rules with studying the situation. These rules are posted in the information windows at the ranger booth at the entrance to the Basalt camp ground. These rules are OLD and you can probably get away with sailing without the stuff as long as you sail with a friend. I ask a ranger last year about the posted rules and they were like: What rules?

Have fun and check it out the next time youre down there on a Low Tide day...
carl

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

Cool!! sounds like a plan the next time the bay is fogged in.

Search Yahoo for San Luis Reservoir and click on the campground maps. There is a nice map of the lake. It looks like theres a dirt road over to Quien Sabe Point too.
goinoff

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

Last I checked, the road out to Quien Sabe Point was blocked. No access, and yeah, it looks like a good place to launch. Goosehead and the boat ramp are the best options I know about.
artnvicky

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: RE: O'neil forbebay lost? Reply with quote

Sailing up in the res: How is compaction? Many years ago I sailed there and if it werent for the boat ramp It would have been almost impossible to get out of the water! All around the bank the compaction was so bad I sunk up to my hips in mud!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: