myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge info requested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psmith2004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

Hi,

I went to Maui in May 2006 and almost got skunked. I am thinking about going to the Gorge next year. Probably in July or August. My skill level is beginner intermediate. Still looking for a jibe and the straps.

I have heard that most people rent gear from Big Winds, etc.

Does anyone have direct experience with staying at Lucy & Joes place? I am not sure if they have rental gear or if your expected to show up with your own gear?

I am interested in learning about suggestions for other options and your experiences with this windsurfing venue?

Thanks for your comments!

Peter
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

Joe does not include gear with his packages anymore. But, it is a great place to stay for your skill level.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

You must have solid waterstart skills in big chopswell to sail in the Gorge. Plan on spending your first windy day or two taking and practicing waterstart lessons so you can reliably waterstart in 3-4-foot chopswell with a barge bearing down on you.

Plan on July rather than August and come for two weeks if you wish to minimize your risk of getting skunked or nearly so. A single week is risky even in the windiest month, July.

Doesnt matter a whole lot where you stay; Gorge sailing requires informed driving unless sailing is just a casual pursuit you can take or leave.

Mike \m/
allen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

If youre still looking for the straps and a jibe I dont think you be well served by the Gorge. I would think the flat water of Bonaire would be a better place to help you get into the straps and turn. Cant see how youll learn much in the 4.0 gusty winds out by Rowena other than you need to get better before you sail there.
Landysails

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

go for the ABK camp so you can get your skills down, then youll be ripping the rest of the summer and in the future -
http://www.abkboardsports.com/camps/details/49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: