myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Judith, RI.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schnapps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Pt. Judith, RI. Reply with quote

Looking for any info on this site in Rhode Island. From the map it looks like a great location all around. Any info with regards to parking,tides, in general anything a windsurfer might need to know, Thanks in advance.
mwilly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: RE: Pt. Judith, RI. Reply with quote

Im from CT and have sailed Pt Judith a few times (wave type sailing). Ive launched from the CG park (not sure thats what its properly referred to) in a SW and it can be quite good. Its a pretty popular surf spot on the east side of the point. The downside is that its a gnarly launch with slippery rocks. If you are not comfortable launching in surfy type conditions I wouldnt do it. Scarborough on the eastern side is a sandy beach and good in E/NE (late and offseason access). There is also a east side of the point launch behind one of the restaurants irf I remember correctly. There are no doubt others who can give you more. I generally head all the way up to cape cod these days as it blows better.
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Pt. Judith, RI. Reply with quote

The rocky launch is usually called Deep Hole by the locals. It is at Matunuck Beach, not to be confused with East Matunuck State Beach. Take the Matunuck Beah exit from Rt 1. It is near the end of the road to Matunuck Beach on the right. There is a small dirt parking lot with a sign for Deep Hole Fishing Area. Ive never seen it full. When the surf is big you will share it with both kiters and surfers. It is a pretty user unfriendly launch because of the rocks but there is a group of mostly locals that windsurf there including a Real Wind rep that demos and sells boards & sails out of his van- great stuff. The waves are actually pretty friendly in light to moderate winds. You should ask a local about where to launch before going out.

Scarborough Beach is on the other side of Pt.Judith and also is known as a surfer beach, although the last time I was there it was just kiters and me on the windsurfer. On a northeast/east it gets sideshore winds for some rare frontside wave riding. The waves can get pretty big but are still pretty friendly. It is mostly a nice sandy beach, unless you get blown way down wind. Huge parking lot with a big public beach in season. Take the Rt 108 exit from Rt 1 going towards Galilee/ Pt Judith. Take a left, I think it is Burnside St. That takes you to the water right near the beach- big signs at beach.

There is a launch inside the Refuge Harbor, which is the point at Pt. Judith. It might be hard to find just from my description but it can be very nice sailing. Take the Rt 108 exit from Rt 1 towards Galilee/ Pt. Judith. Follow sign for the B.I. ferry. It will be a right off 108, (big sign for ferry), to end at water with big docks etc. and go left a few blocks to the ferry. Go past the ferry a few blocks and the road turns to the left again because youve reached the ocean,(Refuge Harbor). There is a public parking lot on the right side where the road turns sharply left. It sometimes fills up but has a very high turnover rate because most people use it for fshing/beach/restaurants etc.
This launch is on a nice sandy beach, pretty small waves because it is inside a huge breakwater enclosure which cuts down on the chop and waves.
You can sail out through breaks in the breakwater and into choppier water if you want to. Some people sail over to Deep Hole from here. This launch doesnt seem to be as popular as it used to be. I lke it because it has such a variety of conditions. There is even a little wave that forms inside the harbor and upwind a little at dead low tide wher there is ahidden sand bar.

All these locations are on a regular road map. There are some other launchs at Pt. Judith that locals use but I havent personal sailed them. The wind at all these sites is best in the spring and fall. It gets good frontal driven wind and not very good thermal winds. The cape and Fogland is better for summer winds.

Good Luck
schnapps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Pt. Judith, RI. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info, gonna try it out soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: