myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crossover/freeride vs. Freestyle boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljenning

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Crossover/freeride vs. Freestyle boards Reply with quote

Im thinking about buying a new board that is great for freeriding and freestyle. This would be my overall condition board. I want a board that will help me excel in freestyle, but also be great for a wide range of conditions. Are freestyle boards easy just to freeride on?

Board Ive been considering in: Exocet Cross 102. Comments, suggestions?
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: RE: Crossover/freeride vs. Freestyle boards Reply with quote

Ive owned and ridden a bunch of freestyle boards over the past few years. Some are eisier to sail than others, and some are better for sliding tricks than others. The F2 Chilli is probably king at sliding backwards, but the 06 / 07 dont handle the chop so well. The 06 Mistral Joker is the best all around Freestyle board that Ive sailed for the conditions I sail in. (Small Chop 6 - 2) It handles the chop great, and all the new school stuff is pretty easy on it. Ive taken the Joker into the waves as well. The JP Freestyle isnt a bad board either, but has a different feeling to it. For 07 Im getting another Joker. Sorry, I havent tried any of the new Crosses for freestyle and dont know anyone that has one.

Happy Sailing,

Mike
tshred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: RE: Crossover/freeride vs. Freestyle boards Reply with quote

I like the JP 85 ltr freestyle wave. Its a great SF bay board, early to plane and its a great freestyle board. If you weigh less than 170 this will be a one board quiver.

I had a 91 JP Freestyle and it was excellent also (the 85 leter planes a little faster than the 91). I used both boards from 4.0 to 6.0. Tyson and Whit use the 101 JP freestyle boards in all conditions so my vote is you cant go wrong with the JPs.
shitan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Crossover/freeride vs. Freestyle boards Reply with quote

I owned the Exocet 102 2005 and its really all arounder that planes pretty quickly yet lands Vulcans and rips in the waves. I love the soft pads and straps its was super smoothe of a ride.

I also had 2005 RRD free style/wave 80, Its a sweet board easy to get planing and does just like the Exocet but in smaller volume.

Now i have 2005 JP free style/wave 84. It feels more compact than the RRD 80 and handles higher wind conditions and does about anything.
madmax7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Crossover/freeride vs. Freestyle boards Reply with quote

Th exocet is a great board, bought this year and love it. it ll make you perform even when making mistakes. very forgiving, fast to plane, and a soft ride thru chop.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Crossover/freeride vs. Freestyle boards Reply with quote

got a goya freewave 85 weigh 195lbs.,sail great lakes,gorge,oregon coast.hatteras on it this year works everywhere use 5.7,5.0,4.7 with fin changes works great waves or bump and jump and fast in flat water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: