myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
California wave board quiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: California wave board quiver? Reply with quote

Thanks to all the people who gave me great advice on another thread about a wave board for Los Angeles. I bought an Aero 117 and a 6.0 and 7.0 sail. So far it has been an amazing combination at Leo Carillo and at Cabrillo Beach. It wave rides better than I expected, really fun on the bigger wave days I sailed at Leo Carillo. However I think I will quickly find its limits in strong winds and big surf. From people I met on the beach and surfing the internet I heard about places like Arroyo Laguna and Jalama where the winds are stronger and the waves great (lots of amazing pictures of Arroyo Laguna and Jalama on the internet). With this knowledge I want a 5.0 and a smaller waveboard. My problem is back when I last sailed, measuring boards by their volume had not caught on yet. So I have no idea what size wave board would suit me in the waves with a 5.0. I used to prefer riding a loose surfboard feeling waveboard. What size waveboard would you recommend?
Thanks for any advice.
Philip
trburl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: RE: California wave board quiver? Reply with quote

82 Liter Quatro Wave. Money for the 5.0 range. I sail the 76 and it is perfect for me at 175lbs. If you weigh 175 or less and want a smaller board that is for true wavesailing, grab a Quatro 82, a Keith Teboul pure wave shape.....
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: RE: California wave board quiver? Reply with quote

Phillip,

The waves this summer at Leo were small compared to past years. Jalama in the winter can drown you. Mast high at Jalama is intense and nothing like Leo. Arroyo Languna is not very intense but can still kick your buttbecause it is so windy and cold. You will definitely need a smaller board than you have for those places. As for west Malibu try county line on a big clearing wind in the winter before you try Jalama. If you can handle county line on a smaller board with overhead surf, you might be ok at Jalama. I once again suggest the exocete wave 85, 88, or 95 to start with. There are a bunch of guys at Leo with exocete boards who may let you test drive one. Check windjunkie.net. He has an exocete 88 for sale. His name is Spencer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: