myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Barbados

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eibarrondo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Barbados Reply with quote

I am considering a trip to Barbados in february and would appreciate info on sailing conditions. Siver Rock and Silver Sands are they appropriate for an intermediate sailor with no wave experience? Is wind reliable that time of the year? Wind direction : side shore? I can waterstart and sail in the footstraps with no difficulty but unable to jibe (getting close).

Would appreciate your views.
caribwnd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: RE: Barbados Reply with quote

If you are not jibing yet maybe you should go somewhere that you can practice that rather than a wave sailing venue-Barbados can have great wave conditions but wind can be iffy at times. I think you may find Silver Rock and Sivler Sands to be a bit challenging for your skill level as there can be shore break to launch through also.
forwards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: RE: Barbados Reply with quote

Do a forum search for my posts on Barbados which should answer many of your questions. Bds is borderline given your skills but do-able as long as you dont mind trashing your gear learning wavesailing. Has a fairly gentle break most of the time, though the shorebreak at high tide can be a problem. Barbados probably as good a place as any to learn wavesailing, though its opposite maui and the OR coast ... in bds you sail out on port .. which will screw you up when you go elsewhere. I learned wavesailing in bds in 91 and have sailed there ~60days in 3 trips and would go again.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Barbados Reply with quote

Barbados is a terrific place, but I agree that Silver Rock is a bit tough if you have no wave sailing experience - it was for me. Luckily, in nearby Oistins there is flat water conditions that are more suited to your experience level. I believe there is Club Mistral still at Oistins.
bobg
robert364

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Barbados Reply with quote

From a purely windsurfing point of view, I think Barbados might be a bit challenging if youre not jibing. I would advise a place to improve your skills (Aruba, Bonaire, even Cabarete) rather than Barbados.
eibarrondo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: RE: Barbados Reply with quote

Thank you for your inputs. Very valuable opinions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: