myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
maui beg/inter beaches?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djscred

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

Im looking at pictures online of kahana and hookipa and it kinda looks too wavy for me...
Anything less crazy, similar to the bay area?Thanks
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

Kihei has what youre looking for, it rarely has anything over 1 ft. Kanaha can be good too. It has a channel thats often clear of waves (unless the surf is big, then the wierd wave can break across it. Ask a local where the channel and wierd wave is). The Kanaha webcam is actually at Sprecks.
nicolae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

I was asking myself the same question and looking on iwindsurf description of both Kanaha and Kihei, I think Kanaha (inside the reef) is the best place for beginner/intermediate.
Kihei may have flat water, but they say the wind is offshore and the reef is very close to the shore and quite shallow... if you do not have enough experience and do not know the area, you can easilly break your fin and - worse - fall on the reef and hurt yourself...
Also, they say that at Kihei, once you are out, there are chances that the wind dies...
All this assuming that you have the normal wind from NE...
Other directions can change the situation as carl was mentioning to me a few threads earlier (housing at northshore) - thanks for that carl!
WindSapien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

Re:Maui beg/inter beaches
When you say beg/intermediate Im not exactly sure what skill level that is. If you dont have a solid and I mean SOLID waterstart both directions you can get yourself into trouble either place,Kanaha or Kihei.Especially if its a typical 25kt +/- day.You dont need to know how to jibe but you should be sailing in the footstraps and be able to sail a shortboard planing upwind, and waterstart in swell and chop. Now if you have very marginal skills in this area you can practice these skills at upper Kanaha in the bay where the locals teach. If you sail at upper Kanaha and I dont mean Uppers( thats another break far out and up from the beach area)but at the upper Kanaha parking lot area there is a perfect area where you can get a taste of whats out there and get back safely. There is also a life gaurd station w/jet ski right on the beach. Dont sail out unless you are with a friend or have someone onshore who will be be looking out for you.Dont let any of this discourage you from sailing in Maui. Its a life changing expierience for sure. After you go you will always be thinking about returning.Ive been sailing there for 16 years and Mauis always on my mind. Go and be smart about your sailing and be honest . Tell the people at the rental shops what your sailing ability is and they will help you make the right choices. Ive rented from them all and you cant really go wrong with any of them. Go for it.....WS
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

Nicolae,
That info about Kihei needs some clarification. You can hit the reefs in alot of places in north or south shore, especially with a big fin. Its best to ask the locals where the problems are.
Most Kihei sailing is done at Maipoina Oe Lau Beach Park (find on yahoo maps). At Maipoina the reef is about 75 yards out and is usually about hip deep so unless you have a formula fin, youre fine there, even at low tide. Down wind from from the park, the reef is very shallow closer to shore. Theres some lava rocks on the beach there for a reference point. Launch and land at the park and youre fine.
Beginners should stay inside the reef or goto the cove at Kanaha.
Maui Sunset is also sailed in Kihei (behind M.S. condos) its more shallow and probably should be sailed around high tide until you know the reef. Its a popular kite spot also.
The wind is usually side shore at both spots. The more east the wind direction is, the more off shore it gets (and is unsailable if its too east). Its similar to Candlestick in SF Bay, if youve sailed there. The chop can be a bit bigger further out though.
If you dont go too far out, Kiheis fairly safe for waterstarting intermediates.
psmith2004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

I was at Kanaha last May and actually got skunked for about a week. After that the wind came up but I found that the roped off area around the swimming area always seemed to do me in. I would put in up wind of it and wind up down wind of it.
Although prepared to submit to the walk of shame, I couldnt as the pool area was in the way and went out to a water depth above my head.

Putting in way above this swimming area kind of worked but all in all I found the place a bit of a pain.

Margarita though was great with a nice sandy bottom and waist deep water for about 200-300 yards.

Peter
tthole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

Ok one last suggestion. Take a lesson. The first day you are on the island sign up for a lesson, you will learn alot and find out all the tricks to the launches. Once you gain confidence the launches mentioned Kihei and Kanaha are not much different than SF Bay sailing.

I have been to Maui several times and love it, but if I could do the first trip over again I would certainly start with a lesson. It is money well spent and will let you have more fun sailing a new place.

Cheers, Tim
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

carl, perhaps there are kihei spots that are more friendly than say, sugar beach. that is where I always sailed. my opinion of kihei is that it is a int/adv sailing spot. side-off and gusty. wicked chop and deep blue scary (far tack).

dont get me wrong, I always had a great time there, just not sure I would recommend kihei to anyone that cant waterstart reliably, and sail fairly choppy conditions.

also my experiences with kihei is that the wind can be unreliable as well. very on/off.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

Totally agree with Spyder, waterstarting ability is a must at Kihei or Kanaha. Definatly take a lesson if youre having trouble with it.
The original poster sails SF bay where waterstarting ability is really a requirement too, unless youre staying in a protected cove.

Spyder
Ive never seen anyone launch at Sugar Beach in the last 7-8 years. It would be quite off shore there and probably shadows from all the condos. Most now sail at Maipoina park where its more sideshore. Its about a mile down the beach from S.B.
In the winter the chop seems much worse at Kanaha than Kihei (unless theres a storm with strong kona wind). The bigger waves churn up the water inside the reef at Kanaha.
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: RE: maui beg/inter beaches? Reply with quote

i was chuckling at your post Ive never seen anyone launch at Sugar Beach in the last 7-8 years

I feel quite dated... you are totally right..I have been on Oahu since 2000. and prior to that I was in SF Bay for about 5 years. Its probably been 7 years since I have been to Sugar Beach.

Living on Oahu has killed any desire to travel to outer islands. Ive been to Maui exactly 2 times in 6 years, both times did not sail or kite.

So.. lots has happened on Kihei side I am sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: