myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Genentech Launch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidfongchoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Genentech Launch? Reply with quote

Ive heard that there is a launch in South SF at or near the company property of Genentech. I couldnt find any current information about this site. I might be finding myself in close proximity to this area starting this summer and was wondering if anyone could share what they know about the site(s). Where exactly is the launch, conditions, etc.? Thanks!
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Genentech Launch? Reply with quote

Hi,

The launch is called Oyster Point. Do a search in this forum to find more info. Nice grassy riging area, tidal stairs into the water, plenty of parking,....do the search...

Ive heard that there is a launch in South SF at or near the company property of Genentech. I couldnt find any current information about this site. I might be finding myself in close proximity to this area starting this summer and was wondering if anyone could share what they know about the site(s). Where exactly is the launch, conditions, etc.? Thanks!
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: RE: Genentech Launch? Reply with quote

Actually the Genentech launch is the point you see from the Oyster Pt launch, about 1/4 mile south. You have to go into the Genentech parking lot and there is a public park at the point. The launch is down the large rocks.
The wind shadow from the large new building made the launch difficult unless the wind has some SW. Now some still launch at Haskins Ave (at high tide), Oyster or elsewhere.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: RE: Genentech Launch? Reply with quote

Its a nice launch, just dont do what I did. The boat ramp has corrugations running diagonally for traction. I was barefoot, so I opted to carry my gear down the smooth gutter down the right side. Only thing is, when I got to the slippery algae, I did a concrete push loop. Ouch.

Steve
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Genentech Launch? Reply with quote

The ramp at Oyster is slipery especially at lower tide. I find its best to go down at an angle, but i always wear booties. Be careful, there are oyster shells sticking out of the mud near the ramp that have been known to cut thru booties.
BTW Oysters also a great place for south storm wind (if we ever get that again this year!) can be nice swells too, when the fetch is SE from San Mateo bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: