myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need some help with wavesailing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amateur

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Need some help with wavesailing Reply with quote

I tried to go wavesailing today. The on shore wind was about 12 knots with 18 knots gusts. The wave was about 1.5 to 3 ft. I was on a 85 L board using a 6.0 m sail. I had enough power to get on plane to going back and forth. Every time I caught a wave, couple of things happened. One, I outran it and ran into the wave in front of it. Two , if I stayed on the wave, the sail kept wanting to flip as if I finished a jybe.
Any tips given would be greatly appreciated.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

light winds onshore in very small waves is very difficult. everything is wrong. the wind has no power forcing you to rig a big powerful sail that is hard to depower. the wind is the wrong direction. the waves have no energy to hold you. however it is good practice and more important it's fun. my favorite conditions are high wind sideshore with small easy breaking waves (ie 4-5 feet) regardless, it's better than playing video games. I wish i could be there struggling with you! Very Happy
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm impressed that you were doing O.K. with an 85 liter board in such light, marginal winds! That should be great paractise for when you get better conditions. I've learned a lot from 2 DVDs by Peter Hart. Wavesailing 1, Wavesailing 2. There are some very specific moves that the DVDs break down that help a lot. I've been working on the moves in flat water and waves. I find that I go back to the DVDs again and again. Good luck!
amateur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to be impressive, I weigh about 120 to 125 lbs. 12 knotts wind is plenty of power for me to get on plane. Light weight is my only advantage living in NW of Florida.
shitan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remedy to sail flip is keeping the sail on clew first as you go down the face and push your hips sideway towards the clew. You'll be sailing switch stance(on your toes) as well not the easiest way of wave sailing but fun. as you accelerate down the face get back on your heels to climb back to the lip.

To not out run a wave, wait for it to come to you and sheet in as it approach you so you match the wave speed and then do the clew first thing and try to go a bit upwind in that position before you "bottom turn"(on you heels though).

Hope this will help.

s.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Agree with scooper. the peter hart wavesailing dvd is priceless. Watched it so many times-we take it to maui and watch it at night after and before wavesailing. Also find someone good and follow them and do what they do.
amateur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have watched Let's go wave sailing a few hundred times. The tape got stretched so bad. I'll get the new DVDs. Shitan, I'll give it a try when I go wavesailing again.
jakethesnake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Wavesailing in onshore conditions Reply with quote

Onshore wave sailing is a little tricky. When you catch a wave in onshore conditions you need to head upwind on the wave and sheet out slightly so you don't out run the wave. Try to stay on the upper 2/3rds of the wave. To go down the line is the difficult part. Speed is key! When your making your bottom turn you need to sheet out more than you think. You will almost be sailing clew first when you start your top turn. The best thing to do in onshore conditions is to ride backside or up the line. This way you can get used to staying on the wave and you wont lose as much ground.
amateur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips. I am getting better at staying on the wave. I even can do backside riding. I attempted to do down the line but I could not hold on the sail when sailing clew first no matter how hard I twisted my hip toward the wave face. So... what did I do wrong?
KanahaKai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: none Reply with quote

Is the wind directly onshore with the waves or just more onshore than side shore? Straight onshore does make it pretty hard to do powerful bottom turns.

Good practice for this is sailing switchstance. Do a jibe, but dont take your feet out of the straps and sail away in the new direction switchstance I think you'll find this helpful when trying to sail onshore conditions.

Ray,
Kanaha Kai Maui
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: