myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Question about new mast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vracer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Question about new mast Reply with quote

I just purchased a new powerflex mast. It arrived with no mast cap, or cap on the lower half of the mast. My question is; Is it necessary to have mast caps and "fill" in the mast for optimum perfromance? Or can I just leave it hollow?
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems with the masts filling up with water! I once had a 6.8 in light offshore winds just messing around. I had a failure with the connection to the board and the rig became seperated. The mast filled with water as I was trying to reconnect the rig. The rig was like a rock, pointing straight down, trying to sink. I just barely kept from losing the rig. It was a nightmare getting it reconnected, drained and back to shore. I now have all my masts plugged on both ends and foam in my mast bases too.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I've had problems with the masts filling up with water! I once had a 6.8 in light offshore winds just messing around. I had a failure with the connection to the board and the rig became seperated. The mast filled with water as I was trying to reconnect the rig. The rig was like a rock, pointing straight down, trying to sink. I just barely kept from losing the rig. It was a nightmare getting it reconnected, drained and back to shore. I now have all my masts plugged on both ends and foam in my mast bases too.

That is exactly what happened to me last weekend out at Crissy Field (no offshore winds but ebbing). My rig got separated from the board. The mast was a Naish rdm 400 (new) with no inside plug, the rig started sinking so I had to swim for the rig and then get the board in choppy waters and ferries passing by, real nightmare reconnecting rig and board, which I finally did thanks to the help of a fellow windsurfer. I'm getting a plug for the mast.
vracer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the input Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the answers. Based on your input, I am going to plug the mast on both ends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: