myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sails at Ocean beach?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windwiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Who sails at Ocean beach? Reply with quote

Does anyone sail at OB on a regular/somewhat regular basis? From the web cam on Surfline it looks like it is blasting today. What wind direction works and what wind direction is "impossible" to sail there on? I would really like to sail there, but I feel like it is one of those places where you really need to follow the buddy system rule. If any one is up for sailing there and looking for company please let me know. See you on the water.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: sailing OB Reply with quote

OB isn't a great place to sail but a great place tp break all your gear.

The inside is really light and then blows a stink on the outside. No down the line sailing so a little pointless.

The only way to get out is to get as much speed on the inside and bunny hop over white water till you see a channel to get you out. If it is big good luck on that.

Better to drive up or down the coast for some real wave sailing
girsang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Ocean Beach Reply with quote

I agree with Epenrose, but I live three blocks away and I love a challenge so I keep trying to sail there.

Yesterday was my fifth time at OB and I couldn't make it out past the whitewater. With a strong south current and a NW wind, I just drifted downstream never able to get up the speed to get out. But there were 2 or 3 other windsurfers who seemed to have no problem, so it was possible.

There is no place to rig/derig, so you will either scratch all your gear on the pavement or fill it all up with sand.

So far at OB I have shredded a sail and ripped a mast track out of a board. And two of those sessions the wind died so I wasn't even out for long.

For reference I'm a competent bay sailor, but new to waves. I also surf OB, so I know the currents, channels, etc.

If anyone out there has any advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear it. I went to Davenport once because I was told it's easier to learn waves there, but I don't have the time to drive that far with the chance of being skunked.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this link about OB windsurfers,

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing/browse_thread/thread/b72ae0dfe0adc35a
windwiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response girsang and epenrose. I realize that OB is not exactly an epic wave riding location but it could be a lot more fun, and more challanging, than sailing in the bay all the time. I surf at OB a couple times a month also, so I am familiar with how punishing it can be. I used to go down to Waddell every once and a while but the last few times it has been over crowded with kiters. I haven't sailed Davenport yet (not sure why) but I guess that is the best bet for any local (somewhat local) wave sailing. Any suggestions for places north of SF for wave sailing? If anyone ever wants to convoy for a wave sailing road trip please let me know. PFW.
girsang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Ocean Beach Reply with quote

I just found out that I have a broken batten from that OB session on Monday. So three sessions with broken gear and the other two skunked.

That link made me realize (duh!) that middle beach has a rigging area next to the street, but I'd have to carry the gear across the Great Highway. I guess I'll try that next time.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another spin on OB windsurfing. i acutally live a block from the beach, but I only sail OB occasionally. I've only sailed it twice one a regular onshore wind (W or NW). The wind was very light inside, and when combined w/ a strong sideshore current, it was very difficult to get on a plane and through the impact zone. Once out, the sailing was nice and powered, but the waves weren't too good for riding.

However, I've had some really fun days during the winter on S/SE storm winds. I found my best sessions to be when I was really catching the first wave of the stormfront (i.e. hadn't been SE winds for hours or even days). My best sessions also corresponed w/ a low tide (could have just been a correlation... don't know if a low tide is actually better)... but I got cleaner waves on the lower tide.

There have been some blasting OB days lately, but I have opted for bay sailing.

kev
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Ian Boyd? Reply with quote

Re Old School and OB:

years ago I heard that Ian Boyd frequented the place. Of course IB sailing OB doesn't exactly mean I would be very good at it. But still. I wonder if that posse is still around and windsurfing. Last I heard Ian was doing web design -- and quite good at it too. Many of the great wavesailors (but not all of course) have become convinced that wavesailing is not a thing that one should persue any longer, so maybe some of those guys are "kite-only" now, I'm not sure.

Honestly I know kiteboarding is a great sport, etc, but (not that it really matters) but I am looking forward to the day that some of the more famous "kite-only" guys carve it up on an old fashioned windsurfer once again. Even just for kicks, like you go to movies or concerts or go snowboarding without a kite, mountain biking. (ie: doing other things).

Honestly the Schiebel/Caution bros, aside from being truly gifted kiters, were some of the most flashy 80's style windsurfers around. Most colorful wetsuits ever in some of those old photos -- those bros really helped draw lots of folks to windsurfing at a time before monofilm when windsurfing sails were colorful and actually visible to the average American.

To be truly insanely radical and different, think what it would be like if those guys got photo'ed now with the goatees shreddin' a 4.5 at Waddell on a new school wave board maybe found on the iW Classifieds: HiFly? Quatro? Starboard? RRD?. Could be enough to turn the world upside down and be branded as crazy rebels........ Very Happy

George
dupont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: OB-- I've sailed it a hundred times Reply with quote

If you have the time drive down the coast, don't stop until you reach Waddell (beginner wave) or Davenport (Advanced wave).

If you don't have time to drive down the coast (i.e. all day) and want to sail, the wind pattern that brings wind to OB is didfferent from Crissy / North Tower. OB is windy on clearing winds (after fronts pass) and is best Feb - May -- so typically before Crissy and the Bay is in its summer prime.

I love sailing OB but it is some of the most challenging sailing in the US as it is Onshore / side-onshore or wwnw and can be large waves.

There are a handful of sailors who sail there and several others that try from time to time. Make no mistake about it-- it is very challenging onshore wave conditions but it can get really fun on an outgoing tide and lighter wind. Long wave rides on your port tack coming back to shore-- so starbord tack jumps (huge ramps and huge air potential)

You need a board with float 75-80 litres min for 165lbs sailor.

Good Luck
rowan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: OB Storm sailing Reply with quote

OB works great on a SE wind in the winter. It tends to be more sideshore. My advice is check the swell before you go.
Go get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: