myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wireless web reception in the george
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynespector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: wireless web reception in the george Reply with quote

Now that the pager is dead we need to compile info on the best and worst services in the george for the different networks for all to see. Phone recommendations would also be helpful then iwindsurf could post it on the website. Thanks Wayne
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: verizon Reply with quote

Well unfortunately I can say Verizon does not work in the Gorge if you have a standard phone with web access (blackberries do work with Verizon). At least as of last summer it didn't work.....
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get Cingular almost everywhere along the Columbia (Port Kelley, in a deep narrow canyon, is the primary exception), accessible on my cellphone or pocket PC or on my laptop via phone/pocket PC used as a modem. It's not at cable broadband speed, but it's many times dial-up speed. It's cheaper than pager service, far more widely accessible than pages, and I can sit on the beach online on my PC with no access to external power. I dropped pagers not long after I started leaving my string and tin cans at home. Wink

I.P.
Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Cingular Reply with quote

I have a Cingular 8125 Smartphone and I get great reception in the Gorge.. even places the pager has never worked(Rufus, The Wall). The big but is the cost of the wireless web service on Cingular. A bit pricier than the pager + you need a cell phone.

I'll miss the convenience of the pager, but not the extra gadget I need to carry about.
xxxedge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Sprint with iWindsurf for several years now and have had solid reception all the way out past Arlington.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, moderators; I thought that might work. Personal attacks seem to be his norm, so I was surprised to see he's even still here.

\m/
waynespector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: wireless web reception in the george Reply with quote

Ok so it appears verizon is a looser and cingular and sprint work auk both of which are not offered here in ketchum Id. My next question is there a quality or speed difference between the two networks, such as speed of retrieving pages. Price wise sprint appears better $15 for unlimited verses 5, 10, 15 dollars for 200, 400, 1000 messages respectively. A message perhaps being a report? Other considerations being dropped calls especially when your out of your area i.e. roaming. Thanks for the responses keep them coming. Wayne
waynespector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: wireless web reception in the george Reply with quote

Oops Cingular's plan 10 and 15 dollars per month gets you one and five megabytes respectively the messages are for texting. I wonder how many reports you get for one megabyte? Wayne
SamD0g

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have T-Mobile. It works for me and is cheap. I do not go much past Doug's, does anyone know if that service works or not farther out East ?
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cingular (now AT&T) works fine out east. I use it often at Dougs, Rowena, Celilo, Maryhill, and The Wall. I'm pretty sure it works at Roosevelt, but I don't get out that far very often.

The # of kbytes per "look-see" is pretty small. About 5k for the overview with windspeeds for the various sites, and about 20k to look at a graph for a given site. Well worth it considering the cost of gas these days.

bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: