myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thanks to windsurfers who helped a kiter out @ 3rd Ave.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajabill13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: thanks to windsurfers who helped a kiter out @ 3rd Ave. Reply with quote

Thanks to the two windsurfers who helped me out in the middle of 3rd Ave channel on Tues, 4/17, afternoon. To the guy who brought my board in and called the coast guard: they sent a helicopter out and picked me out of the water, and when I got to the car my board was there waiting for me. ...Thanks. To the fellow who towed me partially in, whose name I think is Mark, thanks for stopping and helping. I understand that you couldn't make it in with my kite and had to jettison it. I wrote my name, email and phone on it. Who knows, it might turn up. I appreciate the effort. It was a knarly day and safety was first.

The USGC did a fabulous job getting me out of the water and into the helicopter. They dropped me off at San Carlos airport and I got a ride back. I was cold and tired but okay. What could have been a disaster was averted.
If either of my rescuers find out about this post I'd appreciate a reply, I'd like to thank you personally.

Bill Smile
bonner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Channel Rescue Reply with quote

Hey Bill,
Very glad everything worked out ok! I was the windsurfer who tried to tow you. I was very glad to see the helo as I'm sure you were as well. It would have been a very long cold slog to shore. I tried to drag your kite in for awhile, but it just caused too much drag, and I was losing ground, so it had to go. First things first though, and we're all safe. We all look out for each other out there, and when things get out of hand, we rely on the Coast Guard. Hope you get your kite back. Also, another windsurfer named Tim called the CG as well. Anyway, looks like another windy day on the bay, and I'll be at 3rd, green ford exploder with boards on top. BTW, that chopper was really cool!
Coasties Rule!
Marc
FredBGG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you Mark!!!

I'm a kitesurfer..used to windsurf back in Europe.
First of all I get a kick when I see you windsurfers out there!
Second..one day I was out and my harness failed and I lost my kite.
Despite two kitesurfers further upwind saw what happened it was a windsurfer who came to help me out and dragged me back to shore.
He got me in quick enough to drive down the coast and go out to retrieve my kite.

There was a thread on kiteforum titles..
"Why are all windsurfers Assholes".... I don't agree with that crap..

I think I'll look up the thread and put a link to this story.

Again..way to go Mark.

Cheers

Fred
fredwinston

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad all went well but it's time for everyone to carry safety equipement. It's easy to forget we are all a broken line, harness, mast etc. away from disaster, and disaster means DROWNING!!
Go to West Marine or similar shop and pick up a marine radio and waist pack PFD. My marine radio, waterproof, is only 4.5" and I store it in another waterproof pouch in a fanny pack. My PFD is rolled up into a small fanny pack as well. I don't even know I have them on and WHEN, not should, disaster strike I can pull a cord, my PFD blows up to wear and I can call the Coast Guard for rescue. I also carry a small strope, fits in with the radio, and a Garmin waterproof GPS so I can give the CGuard my exact coordinates. PFD-$65, radio$130, strope $15, Garmin GPS $125. A small price for my life. Remember, most sites blow off shore or side off shore on the peninsula and the next stop is the east bay if you break down and are not rescued. By that time your history!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: