myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Question about the new 40 acres of sandbar in HR?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowenaman

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Question about the new 40 acres of sandbar in HR? Reply with quote

Has there been any decision yet on "use designation" of the extended sandbar at the Event Site and Marina? This would be boundries which designate areas for kiters and for boarders??? The Event Site's smaller beach looks like prime real estate for both!

Anybody know a link for us out-of-towners to get updates?

Driving through a week or so ago, it was great to see a dozen + kiters and boarders already out playing in the wind! Laughing

Nothing like the Gorge - even with more sand!
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Event Site 2007 Reply with quote

You can check out the plan here:
http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Port%20Waterfront%20AccessZones.pdf
Signage should be going up soon.
There will be a "slow zone" right in front of the Event Site where kiting is not allowed and windsurfers can sail in/out. Once you have left the beach, you should head upwind and stay clear of this congested area until you are ready to head back in.
SamD0g

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot gossip: The Dangler (kiting) called the cops on Dale Cook (windsurfing) when Dale supposedly offered to kill the Dangler for pulling his usual s****T Go Dale !! Laughing
lomax

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Event Site Reply with quote

I was sailing the evening of the Dangler incident. There was a swam of sailors letting the police know about the danglers history. Also lots of Kiters hitting the butter water at the windsurf launch to get air which is going to cause a mess when its busy. I agree go Dale... Razz
wind_pimp

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to have rules and buoys to help govern right-of-way, but nothing goes further than basic manners. Yesterday I was coming in by the upper buoy and made a small jump just before my transition. I saw a guy making his way off the launch about 25 feet downwind of me. With all the changes lately I decided to play it safe and stall out to allow this guy to pass. I noticed he had that Shocked "deer in the headlights" look so it made sense to give him some extra room.

I wave hi as he approaches and just as he goes by I hear him yell "C***SUCKER!"

Well, I snapped. In that moment, my peaceful May session turned into river-rage. I felt like a black man in the 1950's drinking from the white-only fountain. I wanted to put my board through the guys sail and send him back to the beach swimming. If he hadn't been 600 years old I probably would have. Instead I just gave him something to suck on... as in a couple gallons of Columbia off my wake.

NOBODY OWNS THE RIVER! If he had just said "little more room please!" it would have been different story. I don't care that I was outside the buoys and in the right. If someone asks politely for more room, they can have it. But calling me a "C***SUCKER"?!

Are we sailing in the Gorge or driving in Manhattan? See ya at the Coast!

Laughing
Terryg11

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the incident too. Dale's problem was with The Dangler, NOT with ALL kiters, and the kiters were (from what I hear) mad at Dangler also for acting like the jerk that he is.

The problem WRT others, is that it's going to be really insane at the inside mark, and that we are going to have a lot of beginners (both kiters and WS) in that area come June...and that beginning kiters have these sharp things called *lines* attached....
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I both kite and windsurf. The Dangler is a problem. His biggest problem is that I am not sure he is 100% well. He has been creating problems for both kiters, and windsurfers for years! I think he thrives off of conflict. He is also FAR from stupid. He loves to bait, until tempers flair then call the cops.

Our best option is to ignore him to the extent possible. Again, he is not all there and THRIVES off of conflict.
Swellride

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: HIGH AND DRY -DO NOT BURN sand bar wood Reply with quote

Think HIGH AND DRY = Sandbar Clean up

Smart thinkers will NOT BURN sandbar wood!

These are the things responsible for delivering 30+ acres of new shoreline!

Like snow fences…Hall and position them way down wind constructing strands that will stabilize the sand.

Arrangement them across the wind and high water currents - in sets of parallel snow fences - offset distances should be reflective of large bays that will result.

Resultant wind blown lea side SAND DRIFTS will maintain a High and Dry paths (even when the water level is high).

Large warm shallow water bays will form Very Happy

More SHORE LINE = MORE PLAY BAYS will be created.

BE WISE…Nature will work with you

boat2

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: sandbar enhancements Reply with quote

markek,

That's the smartest thing I've read online today. Hopefully we kiters can get behind this and work with Mother Nature as you have suggested.

There's more than enough wood down there for a recreational bonfire. The rest should be lined up for erosion control.

-Cory
chupa

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangler bashing make me MAD Exclamation Twisted Evil Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Wood, parallel lines..- pool formations, Dangler doodaas - smart thinkers!! He be unchangeable so like those deadheadssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss STAY CLEAR! His cell fone is near.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: