myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kihei Winds Sensor Location N Accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buczacz

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Kihei Winds Sensor Location N Accuracy Reply with quote

I'm a moderately skill sailor visiting Maui from the mainland. Normally I sail at Kanaha, near the airport and Wailuku. Yesterday, because it looked like Kanaha was going to the unstable, I tried Kihei. The wind reports say the wind was in the high teens from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM, and yet, it would often barely lift a 6.5 M sail out of the water. Early this morning the sensor indicated 10 mph, and yet from my condo just north of the Kihei Canoe Clue, the water looked like glass.

Where is the sensor located? I was sailing in Maalaea Bay just south of Kihei Canoe Club and where Modulele Highway ends. Confused
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh kihei; where do you start discussing this spot? We stay every July at the Maui Sunset so we have seen kihei in every condition. Yes it can be ripping windy up to 30 plus and down to frustratingly gusty, especially when off shore direction-in those conditions the only sailing is going to be out a ways and down wind so watch carefully for dying or wind Going Offshore out into the channel. It often does a cat and mouse thing where it comes to the beach only to go back out leaving you with a nice swim or tip toe over the reef. Sometimes it fills in and gets more steady after 4 pm but sometimes it doesn't too. Kanaha is more reliable and never gets too shallow-yet another problem at kihei. The reward at this place is when it gets cranking windy if you want truly scary conditions- we have seen it averaging 40! or when a south swell comes up, say 4-6 foot waves, and is sideshore but then it gets crowded in the impact zone, but is really fun. talk to people or carefully obsreve where the folks are sailing; the deep water is a narrow channel at the sunset. Up at the park the wind comes and goes, the water is lake flat, but it's deep enough. In the end most people only go to Kihei when Kanaha/sprecs/hookipa is light onshore(north) and usually cloudy to the beach.
buczacz

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Kihie winds and sensor location Reply with quote

Thanks for prompt reply..

I still have the questions ... Where is the sensor located? When you have a directly on shore wind, does it give correct readings? It seems to me that the wind is a lot weaker than what the sensor indicates.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently the sensor is up at sugar beach condo or thereabouts. It is reasonably accurate. But you have to understand what it is telling you in relation to the sailing. ie NW is sideon and usually stronger and better, Ne is offshore and NOT GOOD. the shark's tooth pattern means it is gusty and inconsistent while periods of dying usually mean the wind went far offshore. Hope that helps. Typical day; go to Kanaha or wherever around 12:30 and if light and onshore and or cloudy go back to kihei around 3:00 pm. If low tide; go to the pavilion park, if waves and at least medium tide go to sunset. PS. onshore usually happens early in the day and has NO bearing on what will happen later.
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add:
The sensor is on top of the Sugar Beach condos (the big building north of the longboat rowing club at the rock jetty).
It usually needs to read around 20 to be sailable, but Beallmd is
correct the wind direction makes a big difference. Any East is usually no good.
The wind is usually very off-shore at Sugar Beach and shadows from the buildings. Try sailing at Ma Poina Beach Park about 1/2mi south (where the blue pavilion is). It's usually more sideshore there. More sailors there too. (although the construction there may still be a problem)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: