myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
people still sailing Texas city levee or Galveston...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: people still sailing Texas city levee or Galveston...? Reply with quote

In the early 1990's Texas city levee would attract hundreds of windsurfers evan on a 5.5 day.. are people still sailing there at all?
wndsrfgrl

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're still sailing there, but I think they're all waiting for the wind. There has been an influx of kiters at the Levee too so when it's a good day you'll see a lot of cars parked and windsurfers/kiters out on the water.

I think many of spread out along El Jardin, Bacliff, the Gulf, etc. but we're all still there fighting the fire ants and endless garbage.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ haha- those fire ants- I remeber them well- I actually learned to sail @ the levee in the early & mid 1990's before movin to Corpus- Is charlie or jay from windsurfing sports still around? I remember George M and those 2 asian dudes (can't remember their names right now) used to rip it up... you been sailin there long?
How many people show up (windsurfin ) on a 5.0 or smaller day now ?
wndsrfgrl

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Charlie and Jay are still around. Charlie closed down his shop about a year ago, but he's still involved with windsurfing & kiting. He teaches mainly kiteboarding while Leon Whitley/Cliff Tudor teach windsurfing.

Jay still windsurfs, but we don't see him as often, at least at the Levee. I'm not sure who George M and the Asian dudes you're referring to. I've been sailing at the Levee for about 8 years and I still see several of the same people since I've started sailing in '99. On a 5.0 day there will be about 20+ windsurfers/kiters.

I went to Corpus a few years ago during the Memorial Day weekend. I remember sailing at Cole Park and I was overpowered on my 4.2. It was so much fun b/c the chop (or should I say 'waves') were about 6+ feet and awesome to jump and attempt backloops. Smile
jordanwd

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corpus can rock....next time its 5.2 or better try sailing upwind from cole park towards ropes and there's a large area where the chop really gets rolling like small waves.the jumps on starboard are great and you can hit the lips backside on the port tack Smile... so whats w/ only 20 people sailing @ TCL on a relitively windy day (for texas city at least)? Has the sport there died off that much ?
wndsrfgrl

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think many of the windsurfers have moved or converted to kiting. Not sure what's going on. Or maybe they're justing until it's 50 knots? Smile

I'll keep the Ropes location in mind next time. Will Corpus have some wind for Memorial Day weekend?

Have a great holiday weekend!! Smile
jordanwd

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ not sure what corpus will be doing this weekend; I'm actually finishing up a work assignment in NM (uggg , I got to work this weekend). I'm headin up the west coast for the next 5 weeks though (davenpost, wadell, 3rd ave, pistol and then the gorge) will probably end up by south padre island in mid July for several months- just in time for tropical storm season -)..!
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump....
whats been goin on down south wndsrfgrl (or anyone else)??
jfcasley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanwd wrote:
Bump....
whats been goin on down south wndsrfgrl (or anyone else)??

we are heading to the levee today, probably gonna be a 6.0 day, but i can't wait any longer.
jfcasley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forecast was for 10 - 15, turned out to be 0 - 1.
grass was mowed, no fire ants, & very little trash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: