myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Car camping, Hood River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Temira

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Wal-Mart manager says/City of Hood River says Reply with quote

I just spoke to the manager of the Hood River Wal-Mart. He says they are not allowing camping because the City of Hood River passed an ordinance prohibiting people from sleeping in their cars. When I asked him if the parking lot was Wal-Mart private property, he said yes. When I asked how the city could regulate private property, he said that Wal-Mart was just being neighborly in conforming to the ordinance.

I spoke to a Hood River city councilor about this, and here's what he said:

Hello Temira-- Bob (city manager) thoroughly investigated this for you. He checked with the police chief, legal and planning depts. He reports that the city does not enforce parking regulations on private property. Apparently Walmart did contact the city CSO (code officer) requesting enforcement or some sort, but the city told them that signage and enforcement on their property is not the city's responsibility.

So, what this means is that police won't be coming to kick people out.

In addition, I spoke to the mayor of Hood River. She says that she and the city council will try and sort out this mess.

My guess is that Hood River doesn't want all those RV's and car campers on city streets, and they'll find a solution.

So, thank the city councilors and/or the mayor of Hood River for their hard work finding you a cheap/free place to park your rig.

Temira Wagonfeld
http://www.temirawagonfeld.com/windsurfing.html
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You go Two-Mirrors. Nice foot work - Venti
wdsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: wal mart parking Reply with quote

Very Happy thank you for talking to the people that matter.as a 17 year gorge visitor that parks their once in awhile thank you temira.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. then I won't be car camping at Walmart. I guess I will camp in my driveway, unless my wife lets me sleep in the house.
windwatcher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Money get spent on other things anyways Reply with quote

Over the past years my family and I have used the campgrounds on our 3 to 4 trips to the Gorge each year. Last year since it was just my wife and I [my girls now having grown up and having a life of their own] we decided to stay at Wal-Mart parking lot in our camperized van. Instead we ate out every night and the wife did more shoping. With Wal-mart being open 24 hrs. a day, one night she couldn't sleep so she spent 3 hrs. shopping, so that when I woke up in the morning I was invaded with shoping bags from Wally World [Wal-mart]. My point is that even with saving the camping fees, we spent more money eating out and shoping make it more enjoyable for both of us. Any effort to change this new policy at the Hoodriver Wal-mart, would mean alot to us. You can us this letter to show those in charge of this new policy that money isn't lost to Hoodriver over free camping at Wal-mart. With advance education fees for my daughters, and the abilty to have more fun with kiting in lower winds at home this could be the deciding factor on how many trips we take to the Gorge, or if any.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Money get spent on other things anyways Reply with quote

windwatcher wrote:
this could be the deciding factor on how many trips we take to the Gorge, or if any.

Not to mention convenience. I very often don't know until near bedtime what county or even state I"ll be spending the night in. It depends on what I did and/or where I did it today and what I do and when and where I expect do it tomorrow. Campgrounds cannot accommodate that level of independence or spontaneity, which I will achieve one way or another. I got enough regimentation in the military; I will not let unnecessary interference stifle my personal life. That's why I've lived where I have for the past 35 years, why I retired decades ahead of my peers, and why I vote the way I do. Windbabe/Temira's apparently successful efforts with Walmart and Hood River have saved me and them a lot of hassle on this issue, as I'm laid up with a knee injury and have a lot of time on my hands. Everybody owes her a round of applause.

\m/
twister5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Find a Campground Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Wal*Mart parking lots were supposed to be for the traveler passing through and area. Wal*Mart provided a spot to stop for the night that was safe and convenient as they typically are off the interstate. I don't imagine that Wal*Mart wants to be the campground for the summer for the windsurfers that choose to be "homeless" for the summer. I can't imagine many businesses that would like a bunch of people living in their parking lot and using the bushes for their nature calls. Go to a campground that has the facilities for camping and living out of your car. Let Wal*Mart go back to being the safe place for travelers passing through the Gorge to stop for the night. Not everyone thinks people that choose to live out of their cars need to be provided a place to live free for the summer.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record,
Not all locals have it out for the tourists. Welcome, enjoy our town, hope you get some good wind while you're here. Hope you sleep well at the pit. Sure doesn't look like they're using it for anything productive. Can't see how some discreet campers are going to hurt anything.

-Local gal
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a Campground Reply with quote

twister5 wrote:
I was under the impression that Wal*Mart parking lots were supposed to be for the traveler passing through and area. Wal*Mart provided a spot to stop for the night that was safe and convenient as they typically are off the interstate. I don't imagine that Wal*Mart wants to be the campground for the summer for the windsurfers that choose to be "homeless" for the summer. I can't imagine many businesses that would like a bunch of people living in their parking lot and using the bushes for their nature calls. Go to a campground that has the facilities for camping and living out of your car. Let Wal*Mart go back to being the safe place for travelers passing through the Gorge to stop for the night. Not everyone thinks people that choose to live out of their cars need to be provided a place to live free for the summer.

I suspect most people agree with you, as I do. It's too bad some people abuse the privilege; the RV forums have related some really outlandish behavior by RV squatters. My gripe is with governments dictating what landowners can do with their private land just because campgrounds whine.

OTOH, Walmart (and Costco, mall developers, high-end homebuilders, etc.) use eminent domain to steal land for their own profit, so it's not like I have any sympathy for them on this overnight camping issue.

\m/
forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a Campground Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
twister5 wrote:

I suspect most people agree with you, as I do.

Only agree regarding the "permanent residents" of walmart, but as a wknder who sleeps in a van do not buy into the suggestion that I find a campground. Viento has excessive train noise, and memaloose is often full and must burn gas to get there. gravel pit was optimal, but now that it is banned again I plan to park for free at any number of roadside locations I've found over the years, mostly in WA where the fisherman park near the white salmon river. Walmart, our sand-pit backup, will loose our business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: