myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing in Sardinia, Lake Garda, Canary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Livorno

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: windsurfing in Sardinia, Lake Garda, Canary Reply with quote

Looking for someone who has windsurfed in any of the above places and their recommendations. L
rationalnational

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Lake Garda. Full on Euro homo's. WInd comes from one direction in am and then switches. too may poseurs. 5.8 and bigger.

Was in Tenerife (El Medano) for a week in March. The Place is awesome. Good wind, GREAT rental at OTC. Airport is 10 mintues from beach.

Best trip in years

good luck with all
WAYLER

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed both places in June. Garda is guaranteed wind, strongest in the morning and then switches 180 degrees in the afternoon. Due to this being a freshwater lake, I was using bigger boards than usual. 95-100 liter with 5.4-5.8 in the morning, 110 liter with 5.8-6.4 in the afternoon. I don't care much for flatwater sailing, but I have to say that it was pretty cool to sail 8 days in a row. I rented/launched from Hotel Pier. Best rental location for the morning wind and they have an excellent fleet of the latest RRD boards.
I have been skunked in Sardinia for 3 years in a row, I can see that the place has potential but when temperatures are hot in central Europe it shuts down the usual wind flow around Sardinia. Great rental equipment with lots of choices.
mwilly

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Gran Canaria in Nov 1999 (the windy season there from what I remember) and sailed at the Mistral center which is a few miles downwind of Pozo. ~60% of the days were great B&J conditions (sub 5.0m, ~75L wave board). The launch at the center wasn't great due to being in a wind shadow from a bluff but once you got out it was excellent port tack sailing and jumping, can really let it soar if you are inclined. I wouldn't classify it as real wave sailing that time of year but the wind driven (large) chop was good for a few surf turns here and there and very good ramps. Major nightlife on GC as opposed to some of the other Canary islands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: