myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing with Kiteboarders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blireef wrote:
Tweeky...... President of the debate team in high school???????You finally calmed down, thank you, you were a little over the top there for awhile..
Rolling Eyes

Good Grief Man! The guy last posted, what, almost a year ago?? And you're just hacking on him now? LOL. I guess some people are already missing Isobars and are just that desperate for a fight! I agree with svance; the fact that a guy is kiting doesn't bother me... they seem just as amiable as anyone else.
foamguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: kiting in popular windsurfing locations Reply with quote

Facts that windsurfers should know.

Kiting is not dangerous if common sense prevails.

Kiters that have had lessons(very few that have not)are taught to give way to swimmers,windsurfers,surfers,boats etc.

Experienced kiters can turn on a dime,just as windsurfers can pivot gybe.

Kiters do have unobstructed visibility as along as we look before turning.

Kiters should always go downwind of windsurfers and windsurfers should always go upwind when crossing paths or the kiter should turn and go in the other upwind direction.

Kiters should stay away from beginners,both windsurf or kiter and launch area's unless beginning a session or ending one.

In the event that a windsurfer and kiter were tangled in lines the kiter must release their safety thereby depowering the kite so that it flags only.

Common sense prevails.
When kiting in locations such as the Hatch or Rufus,kiters should not be in the gybatorium or amongst groups of windsurfers.But rather downwind of them or far upwind.
Most kiters that are in these locales are generally skilled kiters and therefore should avoid mishaps but accidents do happen.
Besides why would any kiter that wants to huck a big air or trick want to have it compromised by crowds when we as kiters are so mobile on the water. Far upwind or downwind just lessens the chance for accidents.

Experienced kiters can be with windsurfers but only in very small groups.

Kiting will not go away and as a converted windsurfer to kiter we need to communicate and more access for kiting is necessary to accomodate this
fast growing sport.
blireef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: tweeky Reply with quote

river lizard said
"Good Grief Man! The guy last posted, what, almost a year ago?? And you're just hacking on him now? LOL. I guess some people are already missing Isobars and are just that desperate for a fight! I agree with svance; the fact that a guy is kiting doesn't bother me... they seem just as amiable as anyone else."
I don't understand this post, isn't tweeky the one who wrote about half the posts in this thread?
Maybe I really am losing it..Big Jim
Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Rules Reply with quote

It appears my comment related to rules was mis understood. I agree that we SHOULD ALL know the rules.... but the reality of the situation is that many do not know all the rules or fully understand them.

You can be on starboard and in a crossing situation with someone on port and yell "Starboard" to them all you want, but if they do not know what that means, you should just concede and take evasive actions.... not plow right into them.

I have been sailing for a long time and never assume others are as aware of an situation as I might be. Each situation must be judged on it's own merits.

I would be very curious to see a list of "Rules" posted and to get a consensus on them. Then... the "Rules" need to be disseminated to everyone.

K
wmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sailing right of way rules are posted on the bulletin board at the Hatchery and Doug's. Smile
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have the right of way. Never had as much as a near miss, so I'll just stick to it.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dressing and sailing like a kook also help clear a path, as do gas prices and chilly weather.

\m/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sailing at a point break with surf and 10 kiter short jibing back and forth. Its a mess. Generally they take right of way starboard or not. It is completely different at wide open beach breaks. No sweat or hassles between disciplines there.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoe does one "take" ROW ... by force? That's easily solved.

\m/
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: TAKING Reply with quote

I'm with isobars. Nobody "takes" right of way. Does an Australian in Chicago rightfully take the right of way by turning into ongoing traffic?

It doesn't matter how rippin' the break or swell is. Wait your turn. If you have right of way, go tear it up. The risk involved in "taking" right of way is not worth the reward. Wait until you have the green light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: