myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Feeling ill from the water?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusjones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Feeling ill from the water? Reply with quote

Embarassed Every year I take in my fair share of the river water. It seems my main problem is water through the nose. A short while after sailing I can hardly breathe. Later that night I am feeling like I want to sleep for days, even the next day, all I feel like doing is sleeping. It usually takes days to shake the yucky feeling.

I have tried nose plugs, but the lack of oxygen intake while on the water leaves me gasping for air after a series of hard tricks and moves. I need all the air I can get you know.

Anybody feel the same way? Any suggestions?
angus44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Water problems with nose Reply with quote

I get really congested after sailing & my nose gets stuffy & can't breathe thru my nose at night. I'm hoping it is a mild allergy to water-bourne particulants. Before I sail I take 1-2 Benedryl tablets. Allergy relief medicine, I believe it helps close the pores in the nose which makes water absorption less likely. It works for me. I really regret when I don't take them prior to sailing & have no ill effects when I use them.

good luck
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Water problems with nose Reply with quote

angus44 wrote:
IBefore I sail I take 1-2 Benedryl tablets.

Do you have any concept how significantly that impairs your sailing? No matter how good you are, you'd sail much better without that powerful drug in your system (one tablet impairs you mentally and physically for 12-16 hours, often legally for the day.) Try some of the modern antihistamines instead and you'll see a marked improvement in your sailing. It may also keep you from getting a DUI ticket or even killing yourself or me. And for God's sake never drink any alcohol on the same day you take any Benadryl.

\m/
Big-Winds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: River and sinuses Reply with quote

During the night after sailing, I used to suffer from water dripping down my throat from the sinuses, then serious coughing. Now I use swimmer's ear immediately after exiting the river. What a relief! I believe it dries up any water caught in the ear canal/sinuses. You can make your own treatment with alcohol and a few drops of glycerin.
angus44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Response to Isobars RE: Benedryl Reply with quote

Isobars, you might consider that everybody has different body chemistry. I feel absolutely no side effects from Benedryl & it doesn't affect my sailing. End of story. What I do know is that when I'm done sailing I can sleep at night, I can breathe thru my nose & my sinuses aren't filled with shit.
Temira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: "river nose," allergies, etc. Reply with quote

I used to get terrible allergies (sneezing, itching eyes, etc) from the river. Then a doctor friend gave me some prescription steroidal nasal spray to use before going in the Columbia. It works like a charm - no more sneezing or runny nose.

Unlike Benadryl, the nasal spray (Nasocort?) doesn't make me drowsy.

My understanding is that you aren't supposed to use this stuff constantly, but I don't have to.

Temira
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Response to Isobars RE: Benedryl Reply with quote

angus44 wrote:
Isobars, you might consider that everybody has different body chemistry. I feel absolutely no side effects from Benedryl & it doesn't affect my sailing. End of story. What I do know is that when I'm done sailing I can sleep at night, I can breathe thru my nose & my sinuses aren't filled with shit.

"But, Oshiffer . . . I'm not drunk."

I suggest you Google a string of words such as diphenhyrdamine acetylchoiine anticholinergic psychotic drug alcohol neurotransmitter performance. You'll quickly find a few interesting facts, such as:
1. Benadryl works by inhibiting neurotransmitter function. If it helps your allergies, it's miring your neuromuscular system in molasses, even if you don't feel drowsy.
2. Many studies have shown that it impairs our motor performance as much as or more than being legally drunk. (Thus the DUI if caught driving on it.)
3. It exacerbates the effects of many drugs (including alcohol very strongly) and is contraindicated with many common meds and medical conditions.
4. It's much like NSAIDS such as Advil and aspirin in the sense that people assume it's pretty harmless. (The estimate of the number of deaths attributed to common NSAIDS runs up to 40,000 each year in the U.S. alone.)

Feel free to use it all you wish on the water, but please, for my sake, don't drive on WA Highway 14 while on it. I use it, but not when vertical. After all, it is the sole active ingredient in most OTC sleeping pills

\m/
jimoakes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nose plugs work for me, no drugs to buy and they make you look really cool.
Many pro sailors must wear them. Often when I'm out riding a swell people will give me lot's of room cause they see my nose plugs and think I'm a pro.

The really cool part is no red eyes, dripping nose or multiple sneezes after sailing.

I tried all the drugs for this and none of them really worked for me. Once you get use to the nose plugs, you won't get " ill from the water " again.

Last edited by jimoakes on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
LAWLER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: SICK Reply with quote

I vacation in the gorge for a month every year plus weekend trips before and after vac. My 1st week I have to use a histamin blocker and a steriod nose spray, If I don't do this the 1st week I will get a sinus infection. I tried to kill it with margaritas and Tequila one year, that didn't seem to work, though I was happily sick.
The water carries a lot of alergens, pollen, cotton wood etc. as well as things we just don't want to know about that can cause us to get sick one way or another.

May a steady 4.5 wind be at your back all summer!
updraft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by updraft on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: