myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you think Kiters and Boarders can share The Hatch Safely?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowenaman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Do you think Kiters and Boarders can share The Hatch Safely? Reply with quote

Today was mostly slalom sailing at The Hatch (4.7-5.5) with a medium size crowd. There were also a few kiters enjoying the wind. Four kiters were catching BIG air at the point and in the jibe zone which includes the 50 yards or so along the rock wall to the east.

It seemed to this sailor that catching BIG kite air in a normally crowded jibe zone was an accident waiting to happen. I'm not at all against kiting, in fact, I have a trainer and am learning. Though I'm wondering if kiters at The Hatch would be better off sailing just west of the point (closer to Cheap Beach)?

Do we need similar territorial right of ways like they have established at the Event Site? I know, who wants more damn rules --- though in consideration of the amount of real estate taken up on the water by high jumping kiters --- it may be a good idea at The Hatch?

In fairness to the kiters, they did all seem to sail in control; though the closeness of the jumping to the windsurf jibers was a concern to this observer.

What do you think - Can windsurfers and kiteboarders share the crowded jibe zone at The Hatch safely? Question

Last edited by rowenaman on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:13 am; edited 2 times in total
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely they can. After all, nobody is forcing the windsurfers to bunch up and all jibe in front of the point.

IMO, youre more likely to get nailed by some windsurfer jibing down on you without looking than getting landed on by a kiter. Plus they come down all soft like, it would even hurt that bad.
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everybody share!!!!!!

Last edited by WaveSlayer on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
pdxkiteboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called sharing people, have you heard of it? I have an idea, lets divide up the entire river and rope off equally sized sections for each user group b/c as adults, it is impossible for us to go out and enjoy our activities without concentrating more on what other people are doing.

Is it lame that people were boosting huge airs near you guys? Kind of. Did these guys know what the hell they were doing in order to do so? Ummm yeah.

where the hell is the community spirit? Are we not all out to enjoy the river?

I'll tell you what, I say we let only those people who have been actually hit or hurt by a kite come and post. It would certainly stop all this "what if" BS.
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Kites at the Point Reply with quote

I was windsurfing at the Hatchery yesterday and saw all the kites at the point. I would say they have just as much right to show off in the jibeatorium as the windsurfers. If you don't feel comfortable sailing in the crowded conditions, then you should head upwind. There was plenty of uncrowded water at Cheap, Swell and beyond.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy sharing the water with kites. In my four years sailing at the Hatch, I have yet to see a kiter not in very good control of their gear. Sailing at this site is inherently more risky than most others due to the volume of summer traffic on the water. The Hatch is known for its inspiring demonstrations at water's edge, so that means all partake. Right?
mik377

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they can share the water at the same time safely (excepting high flyers near launch zones) but seems to me to be a pain for both. WSers need to constantly adjust for the wide swath of KBs and KBers have to watch out for pesky WSers always getting near them. The solution? There isn't any. Not unless separate areas are designated for the sports which people are so sensitive about and unwilling to even discuss. The answer? watch out for your own arse (or head for less crowded waters as suggested)
tweeky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
IMO, youre more likely to get nailed by some windsurfer jibing down on you without looking than getting landed on by a kiter.

Agreed.

Of course you can share the water safely with kiteboarders, we do it all the time. The real issue is volume of traffic. Keep stuffing everyone in there at close quaters, and sooner or later someone is going to come together. Sometimes you just have to look at how many people are at a site, and decide if you really want get out there and be a part of the circus. There's always another, less crowded place to sail.

One factor that kiters have in their favor is that they are easier to see above the swell. I do think that for people who windsurf, kiters seem to take up more room, and its always a little unnerving when you have to sail under their lines. But it all comes down to attitude. If people are friendly and considerate, the session will be fine. If people are launching with "the 'tude", then it can be miserable for everyone, regardless of numbers, or if they are kiteboarders or windsurfers.
jesusjones

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfers where their first. Just like skiing and snowboarding. If the kiters cause problems move them, take them to jail, or their right to sail there. On Mount Hood Snowboarders got out of control, they started taking away their passes and throwing them off the mountain. Sad
eanders

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think it's bad now on a crowded weekend now, what is it going to be like when they build the resort across the highway at the old mill site? I'm with everybody else, and I sail the Hatch alot, it's great until it gets too crowded and then you head upwind, or go elsewhere. In fact, it's always best mid-week. But, if they create more room for WSers and KBers at a resort location across the highway, where are they all going to fit on the water? The Hatch definitely has a maximum capacity. Does anyone else see this storm brewing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: