myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Yet another gorge question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Yet another gorge question Reply with quote

While we were out there, driving on highway 84, we noticed (how could you miss it) a number of big rigs pulling what appeared to be parts of extremely large wind generators on the east-bound lanes. I mean these were huge. Saw two with two blades each. Two with the support structures. All were wide loads. Id guess the support structure was 20 feet in diameter, and the blades were easily 3 times the length of a standard 18 wheeler trailer. Anybody know where these were headed, or where I can read about them?

Steve
m00nd0ggie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve,
I drive cross country(VOLVO XC MOST OF THE TIME -- I AM THE VOLVO MAN) and there are more and more wind farms all over the midwest from texas to oregon.

i believe these components are manufactured in the portland area. each time i drive from atlanta or memphis back to the gorge i see more windfarms.

maybe someone else can tell you more about the manufacturer.
peace.
repooc99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Wind Farm is being installed above Mosier Reply with quote

The wind generators you are seeing are destined wind farms. If you go to The Dalles Chronicle and search windfarms you will see some articles and editorials of not so happy folks from Mosier.

Crying or Very sad
hilton08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Wind Farms Reply with quote

I'm not sure where those were headed, but there are probably 100 huge wind turbines at the Klondike wind farm near the town of Wasco OR just about 15 minutes South of Maryhill/Rufus. You can't see them from I-84 or SR14, but it is quite an impressive sight when you get closer. It is well worth the short drive to check them out the next time you are waiting for wind out East.

http://www.transmission.bpa.gov/PlanProj/Wind/completed.cfm?page=klon2

http://www.portlandgeneral.com/about_pge/current_issues/klondikeII/gallery/construction.asp?bhcp=1

There is also a new wind farm planned near The Dalles.

http://www.kgw.com/business/stories/kgw_052307_business_wind_farm.10d5fd7.html
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going green... But what they do not tell you about is the pile of dead birds right under the wind turbines. Or rate payers paying more for renewable energy that in the end gets used by government for what ever they want, i.e. paying off 5m of omsi's debt.
jse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Farms Reply with quote

hilton08 wrote:
http://www.portlandgeneral.com/about_pge/current_issues/klondikeII/gallery/construction.asp?bhcp=1

Yes that's exactly what I saw.

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
Going green... But what they do not tell you about is the pile of dead birds right under the wind turbines.

I'm pretty sure the newer large turbines spin slow enough not to cause bird deaths. I know the earier ones that spun very fast did. At least that's what recent studies published in the S.F. Chronicle explained.

Steve
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THOSE ARE FROM THE VESTAS COMPANY.
p914

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the trucks with the props come down I-5 from the Seattle direction.
advgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
andymc4610 wrote:
Going green... But what they do not tell you about is the pile of dead birds right under the wind turbines.

I'm pretty sure the newer large turbines spin slow enough not to cause bird deaths. I know the earier ones that spun very fast did. At least that's what recent studies published in the S.F. Chronicle explained.

Steve

Yes that's correct. Turbines got a bad rap from the early installation at Altamont Pass of thousands of small fast moving turbines that caused serious problems for the local bird population. The Audubon Society has since reversed it's previous anti wind turbine stance and now supports wind turbines due to their help in curbing global warming and the much lower rate of bird kills from the new larger slower turbines.

The windmill parts you seem on I-84 are enormous. I think each blade is longer than a 747 wing. Amazing engineering. Oh, and andymc4610 when the natural gas runs out and we can't use coal anymore because of global warming you'll be thankful we put up those windmills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: