myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Girlfriend-friendly windsurfing vacation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Girlfriend-friendly windsurfing vacation? Reply with quote

Is there such a thing?

My girlfriend does not windsurf, is kind of frightened ot the sea (!) and yet we are looking for a place where we can go on vacation together. She's not into mountain-biking etc either, not the active type like myself! (hiking though is an option).

Ideally, we would like a place where I can get a few hours a day sailing in during which my girlfriend can relax but we would also like to be able to go off and do other things, maybe hikes and touristy stuff. My girlfriend would like have a nice hotel with a nice pool and a beach, or at least access to one, where she doesn't get sandblasted.

We're based in Los Angeles and are thinking of the Gorge, Baja & Maui.

Any hotels/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Happy sailing,

Felix
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui would work well - it works for me and my non-windsurfing family. You can stay in Kihei (less wind and drier), and drive over to Kanaha or Sprecks to sail (about 30 minutes). Lots of other things to do on Maui. Main downside is that nothing is cheap on Maui.
bobg
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Girlfriend-friendly windsurfing vacation? Reply with quote

felixbird wrote:
My girlfriend . . . is not the active type like myself!

Biting my lip . . . biting my lip. Wink

\m/
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bobg above. If you can swing it financially, Maui would definetly be your best choice. Pick a nice hotel where she can relax by the pool or beach (most beaches along the south shore have really calm water conditions during the summer months). You can spend the morning with her and break away anytime after lunch to catch some prime sailing and be back in plenty of time for a sunset dinner. Check the wind archives for Kanaha during the months of June through August and you'll see the trade winds are really consistent during these months. It's definetly expensive but you'll likely get a lot of great sailing in and she'll love Maui.

Rob
beachdoser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Aunt who's in her 60's loves Maui. She's really into snorkeling. Of course, she's terribly wealthy and can afford the best. However, she loves the service and never has a complaint. I've gotten the impression that it's a great place for women to vacation. They get a lot of attention as there's a definite male/female imbalance.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...as there's a definite male/female imbalance..."

That's certainly true in your case, Brucie. Wink
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Girlfriend-friendly windsurfing vacation? Reply with quote

felixbird wrote:
Is there such a thing?

My girlfriend does not windsurf, is kind of frightened ot the sea (!) and yet we are looking for a place where we can go on vacation together.

Here's a different thought for you. Probably the easiest place in the world to try windsurfing (my first choice for vacations with my wife, because she feels safe and in control there) is Bonaire. The main windsurfing location is an enclosed bay that's 3 feet deep for the most part, with warm air, warm onshore winds, and a warm atmosphere. You can also hike and snorkel there, and it's fantastic for scuba diving (again in extremely friendly circumstances, though deep water.)

It's the kind of place where people go and say "I'm not trying windsurfing" (this is my 58 year old neighbor accompanying her daughter) but by the end of the trip she's sailed 3 days and arrives at the airport in her new windsurfing t shirt. SUPER friendly conditions.

rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, most of the resorts cater to the rich and famous which she'll love and you'll pay dearly for. But, if you do a little research, you can find the right place within you budget. The only other drawback is that you have to drive with your gear to the sailing spots, so plan on renting a compact SUV or mini wagon. But the wind is incredably consistent there during the summer months with the prime sailing between about 12:00PM and 6:00 PM which gives you plenty of time to spend with the girlfriend or family. The sailing is really world class quality and I've never been dissapointed.

Rob
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definatly haven't noticed any imbalance (in Maui anyway).

We have the same situation, wife doesn't sail. We always go
for the resort condos in Kihei Maui. They have the pool and all the amenities of the hotel resorts, plus the condo is bigger with full kitchens so you don't have to eat out, it's more like home. Often they are less expensive than hotels too. Try: vacationrentals.com
We just goto Costco in Kahului and stock up the fridge at the start of the trip. Eating out every meal is what really gets expensive.
There's also great shopping on Maui, my wife loves the quaint shops of Paia. Kahului and Wailea have some nice malls.
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Girlfriend-friendly windsurfing vacation? Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Here's a different thought for you... Bonaire.

It's a really long haul from Los Angeles to Bonaire. Of the three choices mentioned by felixbird, I'd have to recommend Maui. It offers fun in the sun, endless shopping and sightseeing and a variety of accomodations sure to please anyone. From upscale Wailea to casual Kihei you'll only be minutes away from world class sailing.
It's approx a 5hr direct flight from LAX to OGG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: