myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to SF, location, logistics?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Moving to SF, location, logistics? Reply with quote

I have a happy problem... I have a shot at a job in SF, possibly moving there early next year if everything works out. The office would be a couple of blocks away from Embarcadero Center, so I suppose I'd join the ranks of BART users to get to work if I decide to (or have to) move to a place outside the City. With this scenario... as a single who doesn't need a big house etc., my quesiton is: where to move? I can look forward to a decent income (~100K) but still the city might turn out unreasonable, especially as I'd need my car to support logistics and a place to store the equipment. So, my question is for recommendations where to move in the Bay area. I need to float and park the car and a garage/storage for boards, sails and some other outdoor toys; willing to commute 45mins.
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Happy problem Reply with quote

That is certainly a "happy problem"! Welcome to the Bay area where you'll sail nearly all year long Very Happy ... You have 2 options : rent (higher) in SF and gamble with street parking or move to the burbs (Berkeley, Burlingame, San Mateo, Redwood city, Foster city, etc) and find a more spacious apartment (with storage) and no issues parking your car. As you noticed the BART does not go down the peninsula as it stops in San Bruno. You might need to drive and park your car at the Station in order to get to SF... Timewise, it would almost take you the same amount of time taking the BART from San Bruno than dealing with traffic all the way up to SF where you'll then get "hammered" with parking prices... The Bay area has definitely a car culture and PT is unfortunately pricey and you won't save that much time from a "normal' rush hour traffic time...
I lived in Burlingame for a few years and literally 10 minutes driving to Coyote point or 3rd avenue and 20 minutes from SF on a 'fluid" 101 day... 45-60 minutes on a "bad" day... If you live in the city, you'd certainly have "more of a life" outside of work and also access to Crissy field for an after work sailing session... hmmm... I hope I am not confusing you even more... Maybe you should rank your priorities (+/-) and go from there? Hope this helps and make sure you have your 5.0-5.5 ready for some epic Bay area sailing sessions. O.

Last edited by LoveSplittingLanes on Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
vadler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good problem. It's gotten pretty crowded here the past couple of years as the economy has been doing well. I would suggest renting a place in San Mateo, Burlingame or north of there. San Mateo is close to 3rd Ave. where the best Bay sailing is to be had. It's also about an hour to Waddell and 30 minutes to Crissy +-. That's probably your best compromise. If you're on the coast, it's an hour to the Bay and 2.5 hours to Rio Vista/Sherman Island. If you live in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc.) you have easy access to the Berkeley, Point Isabel, and Rio, but you have to cross bridges to get to some of the best Bay sailing.

Outside of the city will have lots of condos and apartments for rent with underground parking with fewer worries about having your stuff stolen. One bed places might run $1000-$1700/mo. depending on the neighborhood, so get over the sticker shock now. You can maybe rent a room in a house with others if you're not used to having your own space. That would be cheaper, and it might get you a garage. Many 20-somethings do it that way.

Good luck,
Victor
jse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is an option, but I do know a sailor that lives there. How about Treasure Island? Can't get more central than that. And I hate to contradict vadler, but TI (when it's not closed to the public) is better sailing than 3rd, hands down. I sail both places. Both are excellent, but TI has a much longer season, and works even if the NW winds don't cooperate. Swell starts right off the launch, not 2 miles out in the channel. And it's not shut down in a zero or minus tide, like 3rd is.

Another option is to live in Emeryville. Right across the Bay Bridge from Embarcadero center, spitting distance from a primo launch for Berkeley (on the Emeryville side), close to Pt. Isabel, and closer to Sherman Island than anywhere down the Peninsula.

Regardless, you want to rent a while before you decide were you really want to live.

Steve
shitan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and make sure you have your 5.0-5.5 ready for some epic Bay area sailing sessions.

An epic day is 4.2-3.5, if i'm on 5.5 i hesitate to go out in that particular spot. This is the season, you should be sailing better than 6.0+.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait folks. He said "shot at a job". The Bay Area isn't perfect, but if you love windsurfing, it's pretty freakin' amazing. But now you GOTTA get that job, dude, because the more you dream it up about the Bay, the tougher it might be if you instead end up taking a job somewhere not as great: such as, well, almost anywhere else, including but not limited to: Chattanooga, Tennessee, Roswell, New Mexico, Shocked etc. etc.

Good luck in the interviews. And let us know if you want us all to put in the good word. Very Happy
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shitan wrote:
Quote:
and make sure you have your 5.0-5.5 ready for some epic Bay area sailing sessions.

An epic day is 4.2-3.5, if i'm on 5.5 i hesitate to go out in that particular spot. This is the season, you should be sailing better than 6.0+.

Sorry Shitan! how about 2.7 to 3.5 for a REA-LLY Ep-ic session Surprised ? @200lbs, rarely used my 4.5 in the SF Bay/ Coast during winter storms or Summer... So, at~120+lbs, maybe a 4.2 is the most used sail size in the SF Bay area?... for me, it was 5.5-6.0. O.
vadler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
I don't know if this is an option, but I do know a sailor that lives there. How about Treasure Island? Can't get more central than that. And I hate to contradict vadler, but TI (when it's not closed to the public) is better sailing than 3rd, hands down. I sail both places. Both are excellent, but TI has a much longer season, and works even if the NW winds don't cooperate. Swell starts right off the launch, not 2 miles out in the channel. And it's not shut down in a zero or minus tide, like 3rd is.
Steve

True. True. After I wrote my post, I remembered TI. I Forgot about it because it was closed this year, and I didn't sail it that much last year. But, yes, Treasure Island is steady Eddy. It blows all the time there. The swell doesn't get as good as 3rd, but it's got a longer season and is probably the most consistently windy place in the bay.

I don't know about living there, though. Does your friend live in Yerba Buena? How much is rent? Living on the actual Treasure Island side could be, shall we say, interesting.

If you work on the Embarcardero, living at Yerba Buena or TI might not be so bad, but understand that you will always be at risk of bridge traffic every time you want to leave your house.

Victor
shitan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocorvez,

I understand heavier needs more horse power but if it's more than 25knts(Epic day) 5.0 is too big no matter how big you are unless you sail overpowered at all times. I'm 160lbs and sail 4.7 pretty much every day, when i go to Candle Stick i must carry my 3.5 if i don't wanna sit on the beach after 5pm.

I'm stating facts not comparing levels or techniques. The fact is when it blows you better pull that little tiny sail out. And it blow darn often too.
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are single, definitely try living in the City... at least at first. You owe it to yourself. There is simply no comparison as far as social life is concerned for a single. And you won't have to waste a bunch of time going back and forth to work, you'll be much more able to socialize with co-workers and that will help you succeed at your new job. For sailing and living in the City, Crissy and Third will be bread and butter for you with weekend and hooky days at the Coast and Sherman. You will probably need 4 sails and 2 boards for optimal water fun, so storage should not be a huge problem. Would also recommend bringing a mountain bike and ski or snowboard gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: