myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to SF, location, logistics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
good recipe for body bag
Got to start somewhere...
OK, the city then. I was told by perspective employer that client likes to see that so I have a good excuse to justify this to myself. Garage where I can park my car in front of; and I suppose I can swing a $300 for that assuming there's as many ladies as suggested. Guess I'll find me one that puts me the groceries on the table (;->). So I'll keep my fingers crossed; hope to meet all y'all next season.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryonwilson is right on the money, it totally depends on lifestyle. I'm 30something and live in Berkeley and couldn't be happier. There's tons to do, easy to get around, and for me the big thing is I don't feel trapped in the city. I can easily get out of town and head to the Sierras or where ever. But truth be told, it's just about as easy in The City.

I agree man, if you are 40 or younger, single, and have any inclination about tryin' out the city life, then totally live in SF. If you want to be near open space but also close to everything that's happenin' in the big city, then try Marin. If you want an urban experience where you can have a yard and a garage, try Berkeley... The sweet thing is you can try it all, just get out here and explore.

Windsurfing is super sweet here, but that's only the beginning...

-Tim
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on Berkeley...I've lived here almost 20 years and love this town. The best weather for any bay area city. Find a place on the flats...only a few minutes from the marina and just a few more for Isabel. The delta aint too far either. Whenever I travel, I'm always happy to get home.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geohaye wrote:
if you instead end up taking a job somewhere not as great: such as, well, almost anywhere else, including but not limited to ... Roswell, New Mexico

The lakes within reach of Roswell are sailable year-round (barefoot through some winters), can blow harder than I've ever seen the Gorge blow, are warmer than the Columbia, can stack up over head-high, are easily accessible, and have no crowds on the roads, shores, or highways. I've logged tens of thousands of miles over hundreds of days on sinkers with sub-6-meter sails on those lakes, and this boondocks lover would rather live there than in any big city. And, oh yes ... its climate is incredible; by far people's major complaint about NM weather is ... ta daaaa ... the wind.

It ain't San Francisco or The Bay, but for many people that's a bonus.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byronwilson wrote:
I will never criticize Roswell-- that's where Demi's from.

Yeah ... but so's Rather. Wink

Totally OT, but didja hear the original Army public affairs officer, Lieutenant Walter Haut, who dealt with the "UFO crash", died recently, leaving a deathbed affidavit to be opened after his death. It revealed that there was a space craft complete with alien bodies, and I don't mean displaced Mexicans.

Oooweeeeoooooh.

\m/
justingordon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Definitely live in the city Reply with quote

There is no comparison to living near Crissy field. Lots to do including windsurfing.

I know somebody who's got a one bedroom apartment 6 blocks from Crissy with a big garage they need to sublet ASAP. Rent for the furnished apt including big garage would be $1300 plus utilities. It would probably have to be a woman and would need to share the apt maybe one week every 2 months.

This is the PERFECT setup, having a secure, private garage for all the toys located within tons of great restaurants and sailing, and easy access downtown.

If interested, e-mail windsurf.maui at gmail.com

Aloha,

Justin
streetsailing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sailing Crissy Field for the past 17 years. It's the best. Living and sailing in SF is also the best. Why would you move to the bay area and not live in SF. At least start there. 100k is plenty for a single guy in the city. Lot's of apts. available in the Richmond and Sunset districts with parking and storage. Far enough away from Down Town but only a 15minute bus ride.
Call me anytime if you have any questions. I also sail Kona with any size. 5.7 is my average on 100l board.
Sail On
JR
415-310-1998
p.s. did you ever tell us where you're moving from?
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Where to put all the stuff? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the answers!

After client and firm completed the business process, I got the job, and, in fact, started Friday. Nice views from the office downtown...

My household, car and equipment are en route from the East Coast and will move into storage until I find a place. So far so good.

I've started checking out rentals in the city, and wonder how city dwellers are dealing with equipment storage. At this point I have no plans to buy a van, as mountain bike, skis, boxes etc. will all need a place. It all fit into a single car garage back East. After I worked my way through craigslist over the weekend, with the goal to identify a condo or similar with a single car garage, I found that parking is mostly in multiple car garages as part of the multi-unit houses, which are common here (I don't have to tell you that, I guess). Obviously this setting does not offer privacy for all the expensive toys. Which made we wonder how you all deal with the issue - is renting separate storage somewhere nearby the usual approach, or am I missing something to look out for?

JP
diannesf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to San Francisco! I completely agree with everyone who has told you to live in the city. You are single, You can afford it, and you will love it.

You can find garage space much cheaper in the Richmond and SeaCliff districts than in the Marina and closer in. It's nice there...I don't want to get anyone riled up...but I don't think anyone would argue that it's less expensive to live a little farther out. I live two blocks from Baker Beach and love it. It's also very safe. There's been no crime on my streeet that I know of in 8 years. Oh, but watch out for the coyotes....Try Craigslist for postings.

Also, an amazing apartment was open yesterday. It's on the corner of 27th Ave and Lake Street, with gorgeous views from every window to the Marin Headlands and the ocean. Two big bedrooms, garage, hardwood floors...seriously amazing. It's pricey...$2600/mo, but it includes parking and if you had a roommate, there's PLENTY of room. That's the kind of thing you can get out here, plus you get the beauty of Land's End and the Presidio. And it is 7 minutes at most to Crissy, traveling on one of the most beautiful roads in the world. Check it out! Most other places will be less expensive...it's just that this one is unique with it's views.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing Dianne did not say in her post is that there is lots of fog in the Richmond in the summer. I lived there before and loved it, but some people don't like it. Especially if you're not used to it (coming from the East Coast). Low crime, easy parking, storage might outweigh that for you. You'll know soon enough how you are affected by the fog. If you can't handle it, move somewhere else.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: