myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to go for windsurf in CA for visitor fr Kazan city Rus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Where to go for windsurf in CA for visitor fr Kazan city Rus Reply with quote

Hi to all here! I'm going to make bus trip from Kansas city MO to LA CA in first days of September till Sep19. Could you help me, please, where could I get cheap prices for staying and renting windsurf gear. How much it approximately may cost for a week?
I'm from Kazan city, Russia- it's a middle Volga river area.
I use at home Mistral Screamer133, 6.5 and 7.3 sails, studying jibe.
No wave experience.
Here is the pictures what I do at home

http://picasaweb.google.com/mravil2003

Thanks for any info.
If someone in this community will ibe interested in about trip for snowkiting here I'll be glad to assist.
my mail: mravil2003@gmail.com
tomg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:Will you be limited to the LA area or can you go north? So Cal has lighter winds so kite sailing has really taken over, or so it seems to me.

The best and most wind is to be found in Northern CA, generally, north of San Luis Obispo, CA (A coastal city). San Francisco Bay has fairly reliable wind through October. There are several good lakes in Southern CA also.

-Tom
tomg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:Will you be limited to the LA area or can you go north? So Cal has lighter winds so kite sailing has really taken over, or so it seems to me.

The best and most wind is to be found in Northern CA, generally, north of San Luis Obispo, CA (A coastal city). San Francisco Bay has fairly reliable wind through October. There are several good lakes in Southern CA also.

-Tom
tomg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Tom
Ravil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: СA trip Reply with quote

Quote:

I"m not limited to stay only in LA. I'd like to see as more as possible.
I'm afraid a little about my limited English.
My expierence about CA is only from kite movie Ten Four\Big Trip.
Tom, thanks for reply.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you are used to sailing on big equipment. most of the sf bay area is usually 5.0 or smaller, maybe 5.5. for the size equipment you are used to i would go to one of the lakes but the problem is availability of equipment for rental. windsurfing in the US is no where near as big as in Europe. there are only two or three shops in the whole bay area right now ond only one of them really rents equipment.

you would probbaly have an easier time going to the gorge up in oregon or hawaii which are both very big windsurfing destinations.
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor:

I can help you find rental gear if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area and have a car with roof rack. I don't know Southern CA at all.

Tom
carl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
it sounds like you are used to sailing on big equipment. most of the sf bay area is usually 5.0 or smaller, maybe 5.5. for the size equipment you are used to i would go to one of the lakes but the problem is availability of equipment for rental. windsurfing in the US is no where near as big as in Europe. there are only two or three shops in the whole bay area right now ond only one of them really rents equipment.

you would probbaly have an easier time going to the gorge up in oregon or hawaii which are both very big windsurfing destinations.

Ravil,
It sounds like Victor has not sailed much at Coyote Point or Alameda.
There's a nice new rental center open ON the beach at Coyote.
They are open Friday/Sat/Sun.
No need for a car to haul equipment like Maui or gorge.
They also have a center in Alameda, also on the beach.
www.boardsportsschool.com
Usual summer sail sizes at Coyote are 5.0 to 6.0, unless you are a light person.
But in September there often is lighter wind so 6.0 to 7.0+ is common at Coyote.
In Alameda there is usually light wind in the 7.0 or bigger range.
bbrand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Ravil.... Reply with quote

Cool shots of Uluwatu! Any Russian who makes it to the caves of Uluwatu is cool by me!

I've sailed So Cal and Baja for 25 years. Don't listen to all the talk about how its too light or there's no equipment anywhere. Anything you want is right here in So Cal, just like in the movies. Surfing, windsurfing, kiting, babes on the beach, or just hanging out. Plus, Baja is just across the border.

Give a call if you want to discuss. I'll give you the lowdown on your options. Hawaii should definitely be one of them since you've come so far.

Bill
310-374-4001
Ravil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot to all posted here. It seems to me there are too much attention to my small person. In any case thanks again!
After reading replies I've packed into travel bag wetsuit, harness, wetshoes immediately. I was not sure will I need them at first
About me: Who is who's - if you have a friend reading in russian just ask him to check in google: Равиль Муслюмов.
I'm looking forward to visiting your nice country. Too much big and too much interesting! Just there is the last step - to go out from my unpredictable homeland. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: