myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sprauge lake washington
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rperkins

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: sprauge lake washington Reply with quote

curious to know how many other people sail on sprauge.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many sail there twice other than in brief desperation. Most Spokane sailors bite the bullet and drive to the east end of the Gorge (3.5 hours) due to the mud, rocks, weeds, agricultural pollution, an irritable landowner, etc. at Sprague. Too bad, as it's oriented from SW to NE and is just off the freeway.

Regrettably, most of the other bodies of water one sees on the maps of E Washington also fail muster for various reasons such as cross-wind orientation (Chelan), crappygusty winds if any (Pend O'rielle, Coeur d'Alene), topograhically blocked wind (Potholes), extremely windy but horribly choppy Vantage (on the Columbia @ I-90), and rarely suitable wind direction (Tri-Cities and the bend in the Columbia south of there @ Port Kelley).

\m/
lomax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Eastern Washington Reply with quote

Isobars, you forgot one. When I was living in Wenatchee we hit a few fall/spring epic sessions at Sulivan reservior. It's a huge body of water and at the north east end there is a spit launch near the dam. You need a big cold front with blowing dust warnings in the columbia basin. When it's on it has a super long reach and swell due to the fetch.
Enjoy
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stretch of the Columbia from the Vantage bridge south to Desert Air can produce some good swell in S to SW winds, which occur in the fall. Heck, we can even get a few fall days each year of SSW winds in TriCities, producing decent swell in winds straight up the Columbia right here in Richland. And I hear the Columbia can produce good swell in SW wind where Lake Chelan dumps into the Columbia.

\m/
gtaylor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sialed on Sprauge quite a bitr this year. Thurs should be killer and Fri is picking up!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOAA forecast for Sprague Lake:
THURSDAY...NORTHEAST WIND 10 TO 15 MPH.
FRIDAY... NORTHEAST WIND AROUND 10 MPH.

Does Sprague tend to beat NOAA, perhaps due to its SW-NE orientation?

Do you also sail Potholes? If so, how does its wind relate to area sensors? From observation and reports, Potholes need W to N winds to work; the other three quadrants are topographically challenged, and it very seldom seems to blow there according to the Moses Lake sensor.

And how would you rate Sprague on its downsides listed earlier? Are they just rumors from jaded Gorge sailors accustomed to its sandy beaches and crystal clear filtered waters, or are they genuine hassles?

\m/
rperkins

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a three hour session at sprauge. I was on a 144l board whith a 7.0 sail till I started getting way over powered. then I switched to a naish 8.4, about 78l, with a 6.2 sail. I think I weigh a little to much for that, 225. But I did get up and across the lake and back, just not at speed. So I switched the 6.2 to the 144, and sailed that till I again got overpowered. I decided to try a sail that I had not used before, that I set up on my girls old school race board (mistral pandera). the sail, a naish 4.75, I kept the board on a plane the whole time I used it.

So I don't care what people say, if you pay your 2 dollars for access at the four seasons camp grounds, use their huge rig up area, get past the goose poop, and the slimy bottom, not to mention the less than clear water. when the wind shows up, you can have a consistant epic session.

Last edited by rperkins on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
rperkins

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops. totaly forgot the important bits, It was gusting up to 27++, and it is 20 min from my house. Very Happy
rperkins

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had another awsome day at sprauge, played hooky from work and sailed all day. got blown off the water with my 7.0.

Ross. Razz Razz Razz
30knotwind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to know that someone is enjoying Sprague. Cool

For me it is not worth it. Sad The wind only comes with fronts, which means that there is not much there in the summer. The short reach, really short, and the thought of all that cow and ag. waste are really turn-offs too. Also, watch out for underwater ditches near shore. I have been stopped cold and thrown from my rig more than once--the fin damage makes me shorten my reaches even more. Evil or Very Mad

In fact, being a windsurfer in Spokane is a very frustrating existence. None of the lakes offer any consistent wind patterns. Lake Pend Oreille is the best, http://lpo.dt.navy.mil/, but you have to be rigged and ready at 4am to catch a blow that may last until 9am. The wind is better in the winter, but safety and expense for cold weather gear keep me away then. NEVER leave Spokane for Pend Oreille after 7am: the wind always dies. I cannot count the amount of wasted fuel and time I have spent chasing the wind when I see it blowing 20 mph at 9am or 12pm only to get completely skunked by the time I make the 2 hour drive. Evil or Very Mad

Lake Couer d'Alene is totally worthless because of the topography that eliminates the possiblity of any consistent wind. Although I theorize that a launch near Windy Bay may be good on a SW blow due to the angle of the lake there--the name is encouraging; that is also a 2 hour drive! Wink

I have seen some very good wind on Priest Lake and Upper Priest Lake, but local sailors say it is a rare event. Confused

The Gorge is 3.5 hours away, to Three Mile Canyon, but that is not the most consistent gorge site, although it may be the best. For a sure thing, its best to drive all the way to Arlington or Roosevelt only if the forecast is good for those sites, which is not often.

If you live in Spokane save yourself the frustration and take up golf. Part of me wishes I could, but I love sailing too much, I must be a masochist. Laughing

rperkins: can you edit your picture earlier in this thread down to a smaller size? Thanks! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: