myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Soooo ... what's wrong with Hatchery wind today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimoakes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some windsurfers like to be very critical and detailed when they analyze the conditions.

The best windsurfers I know just go out and sail, making the best of the "worst" conditions.

Last year at the Hatchery it was a big day , but late in the day the wind got a bit gusty and northerly. Some one who sails the Hatch a lot said "I wouldn't go back out, it's terrible out there."

I wanted to get the last of the wind , so I went out to find huge starboard ramps and gusty wind. But the best part is I saw a friend do the the best double forward I have ever seen, including anything on a video. He landed upright and allmost planed out of it as fast as he went into it. I'll never forget it.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, I was all, then I was all, and it was all, and then it got all....

shoulda been there!
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon jimoak... work with me here!Mr. Green
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is what it is.

What it looks like on shore isn't always the way it is out on the water. What it looks like on the wind charts isn't always the way it is on the water.

Can't go by what peeps say either. What works for you at any moment in time doesn't always work for anyone else. Just gotta go out and try it out or yourself and see where it takes you. Some of my best days are the days folks complain about.

As for theories on why it happens the way it happens.... perhaps all the theories are correct. However, there's always gonna be a day when all of the theories get blown away... it's the nature of our sport.

It is what it is.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:
The best windsurfers I know just go out and sail, making the best of the "worst" conditions.

I fully agree, and early Sept is about as good as it gets, considering crowds, weather, day and night temps, water temps, and the whole picture. But having driven something approaching a half-million miles chasing wind, I get a little choosy when the wind is 150 miles away.

My approach to crappy wind in the H.R. corridor or Maryhill corridor is to sail downwind so when the lulls hit I can just lie in the water or sit on my board and drift until the wind returns, while my van gets closer rather than farther away. God forbid I should actually slog like everybody else does in the lulls! Wink

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through what?

Oh, through the lulls.

That ... or a larger sail or larger board. But on the bad days, some lulls would require a jet ski.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: