myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
9/10 or 9/11 Leo Report?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: 9/10 or 9/11 Leo Report? Reply with quote

Anyone sail Leo 9/10 (yesterday) or 9/11 (today)? Since we don't have wind data I thought I'd ask for an on site report.

TIA Mike
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you're a bit hungry for real data, especially given the inherent logistics (me too). It's tough when the sensor is out. I think things have been favorable, but that's clearly not obvious from a distance.

As an aside, the local opportunities have been both favorable, or not, over a period of time. Just late last week there was a trick 5.0 day at El Cap, but the margin was short. I got a raging 30 minutes that was top flight, yet that was it. Really, luck and opportunity. Truely, quite sweet because it's such an awesome venue that appears to be so secret from most. You understand that because of Bacara.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Sept 11 was great Reply with quote

I missed yesterday but sailed today. It was perfect for my 5.0 from 3pm until maybe 4:30 or so then lightened up a bit, especially on the inside.

It's tough without the main Leo sensor, but the RAWS sensor works pretty well for the days when the wind comes up early like today. Note that it reads lower than the WindTalker did.
mikecole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I think you are one of the few who has a handle on ElCap. I usually look for ElCap in the spring when the wind will not fill in at Haskell's. Are you telling me that it works in a sun-downer setup?

I've had a few fun days in town. I've been launching from east beach where the parking is free and sailing up to Leds. The sail back off the wind is fun. Big stuff... Hypersonic 125 and a 7.5m or 9.8m sail.

Thanks Tony for the Leo report. Looks like a similar setup for tomorrow so maybe I'll make the drive and shoot for that 3-4:30 session.

Mike
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Leo wind Reply with quote

Back in the days when we had to chase the dinosaurs out of the break before we could sail, several wind clues were available. Number one, hot in the SF Valley 90+ and cool on the coast <70, barring Catalina Eddy, good chance Leo will get at least a sundowner. Another clue to be used in conjunction with tip no.1 Zuma Lifegaurd noon beach/surf report 1-310-457-9701, if report at noon says light haze or clear with W or WSW wind 6K+ good possibilities later. Also, AccuWeather.com has a report for Oxnard gives average and gusts for wind and temperature. Usually September is a pretty good month for wind, just bring everything you have and good chance you'll sail. My Leo quiver ranges from 4.6 to 8.0, boards from 85L to 110L. 9/10 blew pretty good from around 4Surprisedo to about 6:00, then came back around 6:30 and blew solid til dark, filled in beautifully to the beach for the two hardcores that hung out. Didn't make down today, but Mitch gave me an invitation to play wind hookie[?] at 3:30 with a 19 average wind report!!! Maybe tomorrow.... Bull
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Regarding your question above, sundowners produce the best wind for El Cap. Really, far better and more dependable than Spring clearing winds there. Bacara is the exact opposite, although both places can produce on occasion under their less favorable setups.

Good luck if you make the drive to Leo. Unfortunately, I'm beached right now, as I took a nasty fall off a ladder last Friday, and I'm still quite sore. I'm hoping things will improve sooner rather than later. Of course, time will tell.
bowen1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

I sailed both days from about 4.00 pm. I weigh 170lbs and i rigged 5.3 on Monday and 4.6 yesterday. Both days were excellent. As Bull said, it backed off a while around 5.30- 6.00 both days but came back, both days, and kept going until dark. The RAWS is a good indicator - but at least 5 mph light. The forecast has also been accurate, if a little light. Today looks like a no-brainer. Enjoy!
mikecole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,

Sailed today, 5.0m with my evo 83. Well powerd to over powered. I think I found three or four small waves to ride but fun none the less. Strange wind today, light and gusty right at shore than super powered by the time you got to the rock then it seemed the further out you sailed the wind got progressivly lighter. Strange...

Steve, sorry to hear about your fall. Glad your ok, hope to see you on the water soon!

Mike
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Sundowners Rule! Reply with quote

Leo sundowner this afternoon raged till DARK-THIRTY!!! Blew 20+ most of the day with holes until around 6:15 when the holes filled in and it just howled, sorry to tell those who packed up and left at 5:30. All that wind and only one kiter!!! Sweet, mo' manana! Bull
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: