myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Angry fisherman at Sherman Island County Park - Playpen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I just wish that we had someone like Nealpar around here, he sounds like a very tough guy behind his computer."

uh...you'd better make that "she sounds like a very tough girl behind her computer"...
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A girl??????????? With all that talk!
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

But my question is (please don't make me go back and read every post again) it sounded like the fisherman has been doing this over and over. I would think that he would want to relocate to a place without windsurfers all over the place. The delta levee is a big place and windsurfers (and kiters) take up a very small portion of it. So why set yourself up for aggrevation?

In my experience, fishermen feel that every inch of every bank of river, lake, bay and ocean is deeded to them by God Almighty for their fishing pleasure. Plus, if they have a boat, every square foot of water everywhere.
iratherbefishing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we fish at Rio Vista? Because it's a hot spot for stripers and sturgeons. It's a windsurf spot? Last I checked it's a Recreation and wildlife park. We fish for the sport, even if the water is disgusting, it's the thrill of catching a fish. Why do u surf in Rio Vista if you feel that the water is gross??? Whatever the case may be, we don't feel like we own the water, but since the fisherman is there first whoever comes afterwards needs to respect that. We wouldn't cast out where you're surfing if you were there first. "Proper Protocol". It just sucks that this kind of Forum can get people to judge a person or a group of people based on one incident and on one side of the story. We don't want windsurfing band from SI, we know alot of good windsurfers, and if this is going to continue being blown way out of proportion then all of us may end up not being able to go to SI anymore. Think about that people!

P.S Afolander,
Tony's wife was never cited for not having
a fishing license. She does have one! Get
your facts straight please before you post
your forums.
afolander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iratherbefishing,

Since you're calling attention to the meaning of wording in a previous post, reread the quote below,

afolander wrote:
When I arrived a Sheriff deputy had reportedly just cited his wife for not having a fishing license.

and then look up the definitions of the words 'reportedly' and 'report' . . . synomyms include 'heresay' and 'rumor'. My source was parked adjacent to Tony and had directly observed the interaction. Do you have relevant facts to share? Was a citation or warning issued for something else?
afolander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of fact versus fiction, Tony and I spoke and shook hands Oct. 30 after a sailing session. However, I am still troubled by a few things.

I got a good look at the weight that Tony was casting with and it was diamond shaped and longer than a golf ball. I'm of the opinion that the impact force from one of these to be sufficient to fracture foot bones, put out an eye, or knock someone unconsiocus if flung at me or another sailer from a fishing rod at close range as Dasey alleges took place in his first post.

While a skilled sailer can stay out of reach, many folks, particularly beginners, are going to end up in the rocks in front of Tony if the current is flooding or if they cannot point or tack upwind. What's to stop one of them from being a crime victim if / when Tony loses his temper again?

On the date that Tony brandished the knife at me and was advancing, at one point he was within a quick thrust of slashing my wife's held up hands and face as I was retreating away. His lack of remorse or acknowledgement of previous actions makes me concerned that we are all at risk out there.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that point the police in most states would have shot him and any citizen would be exonerated for same. There's something wrong with a state that requires a citizen to run from an armed assailant even if his family is thus exposed to risk. (This isn't the first case of this I've seen in CA, and I'm concerned about my rights in such a scenario in my present state of WA.)

\m/
eric415

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like everyone is still forgetting that dasey is the on that really escaleted this by hitting tony with his car. On top of that, I am really pissed myself now becuase even though I had no altercation with anyone, someone decided to run their key or something along my car last week while I was fishing at SI. How is this justifiable? I have an idea of who it may be and if I confirm it, he will pay. I hope you all realize that you have a few a-holes in your mix.

As far as people wanting to know why people fish there, it's one of the best spots on the west coast for fishing from shore. One major reason why I fish there,, I have 2 damaged knees and am considered disabled by CA standards., meaning I have a blue cripple tag, In this location, I don't have to climb rocks and risk a knee giving out or suffer in pain for 2 days afterwards.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who keyed your car but that's not cool and that is not the way most windsurfers behave. So if you know who did it do what you have to do.
donlord

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the one to start the rumor of Tony's lady getting ticketed for no license. I was there, and passed on the information inaccurately. My bad!

You know, it's time to move beyond all this.

I know afolander and have talked with Tony at legnth. I have windsurfed lately near Tony's fishing line and know that he is aware that I do my best to stay upwind in the flood, but may get in trouble if the wind dies. We've talked about that. He, by the way, casts out very much further than I thought he did. He throws back 9 of 10 legal fish that he catches, by the way.

I will personally pay for a cut line and what was on it if I blow it, just because I caused it. I'd do the same if I put a hole in a sail of yours.

There may well have been an incident where tempers flared. It's over and done.

Tony has fished there for fifteen years and is a very nice person. So is afolander.

Anyone who has a problem with either one should talk to him and try to understand each point of view.

I personally am convinced that Tony respects the windsurfers and will not be causing any problems. He paid an unusually large amount of money for his fishing equipment, and righfully does not want the pole dragged into the water by a windsurfer who gets too close and snags his line. He leaves the area when there are more than a couple of windsurfers out, to give them space. He has convinced me that he wants no trouble, and has nothing against windsurfers. I consider him to be a friend at this point, as is afolander.

We all have a right to enjoy the area, windsurfers, kiters and fisherfolks.

Please, all, lets just move on from all this. No reason we can't enjoy the sports, understand the needs of others, and be at peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: