myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fire in White Salmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorgekiteboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Fires and the RR Reply with quote

Over the years the RR seems to be responsible for quite a few fires. Seem like someone needs to hold them accountable.
advgeek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fires and the RR Reply with quote

gorgetec wrote:
Over the years the RR seems to be responsible for quite a few fires. Seem like someone needs to hold them accountable.

Yeah, this seems really dumb and tragic for the residents who lost their homes. Why couldn't they have waited to grind the rails until next month when the rains come? I remember a fire near the tunnels by Dougs a few years ago that was cause by rail grinding. My guess is they are going to have to pay for the fire and the houses and hopefully the NTSB can impose some regulations on this kind of thing. I'm sure it has happened elsewhere.

My impression is that the BNSF really doesn't care about the areas it's rails pass through. Keep in mind this is the same railroad that destroyed 1/2 the parking at Doug's.

Watching the fire going up the bluff from hood river was incredible. The trees were almost exploding into huge towers of flames that must have been 100 feet high. Really scary stuff.
srich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a community picnic today where Underwood firefighters updated us on the fire. They don't officially blame BNSF yet because the cause is still under investigation. One of the firemen told me they intend to bill BNSF to recoup lost expenses on the fire. A lot of angry residents up here that don't understand how the railroad can be so negligent.

So first they take a major chunk of Dougs parking and then try to burn up my house. Pretty crappy neighbors!
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the RR, seems like by not saying anything that they're effectively ducking responsibility. Reminds me of current administration in DC.

Did anybody see the picture of some nutty guy schlogging around at the Hatch with the hillside in flames? What some guys won't do for a session eh?
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media is reporting that the fires are more likely a case of arson and it is being investigated.
blireef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responsible for the fire???????Can you spell EXXON??? They are still fighting the lawsuit they lost in 1996 when they were found guilty of the oil spill in Alaska with a drunk running a super tanker.. We're to the Supreme court now.. Big money doesn't usually pay, they have lawyers on staff.. I hope this is not the case with the RR.
srich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Reef, unfortunately what you posted is what has been going thru my head. Even though the fireman sounded confident the the RR will pay, it is still the railroad. What are the chances they will make good. I haven't heard anyone report it may be arson. Thats more likely the case of the Stevenson mill fire. Everyone I have talked to is convinced it was the railroad. I'm sure it is being investigated to death and those fire investigater types will release more info in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: