myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How many are longboarding in waves already? Interested?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: How many are longboarding in waves already? Interested? Reply with quote

I've quadrupled my wavesailing by "forcing it" in lighter winds with large freeride boards over the years. Now with the Kona One and newer Konas 11,5 and 10,5, I've discovered how much easier and rewarding longboards in the waves can be.

There are some videos to watch or ask for a demo from Bic, Exocet or Mistral dealers. More SUP convertables being produced now than ever b4.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The videos of Patrice Bellbeoc are great. He shreds on the Kona!
I sail more on flat water. I sold my Kona and bought a Mistral IMCO instead. I love this board in lighter winds. For me the Kona had too much nose. The IMCO feels faster.
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you wavesail in light winds? I've done it a few times in the last year on a carve 123, just to get more wave practice in. I also have an old "funboard" that probably works a little like the new stand up paddle boards, long but narrow and floaty enough to stand on. It might be good in waves if the wind is really light.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer to both responses. Thanks for them, BTW.

First, I'm not the design guru, I just sail the stuff. Kona has a long nose that flies clear when planing, either with sail power or surfing a wave. Rockerline is a key component of both types of uses. When in slog/displacement mode the water line is attached. An older style board probably is superior for going upwind when not planing. Fin back (old) does not allow for driving off the fin as much, nor turning on the waves at slower speeds. Kona feels more like a short board when planing, does an adequate job when slogging.

scooper, light wind is a relative term. I've used the Konas in 5-20 mph winds side to sideon with waves as big as 13 foot. I've also had the treat of sailing on a couple of days where the wind is side off 45 degrees and punky due to the close prox. of the outside break to the beach with 6-7 foot waves. Untenable for short boards. Longboarding is good. Please promote it.

The trend right now is beginner SUP's are massive 11-12 footers with really wide beams. Better paddlers graduate to smaller and narrower stuff. I stink at SUP, because if there is 5 mph of wind, I'm in the surf. No practice.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How many are longboarding in waves already? Interested? Reply with quote

I see some guys sailing Konas in the waves on Long Island. I'm still able to get going on a larger shortboard (JP 109) but there's definately fun being had out there. When I get the chance I'm going to give it a go.

jingebritsen wrote:
I've quadrupled my wavesailing by "forcing it" in lighter winds with large freeride boards over the years. Now with the Kona One and newer Konas 11,5 and 10,5, I've discovered how much easier and rewarding longboards in the waves can be.

There are some videos to watch or ask for a demo from Bic, Exocet or Mistral dealers. More SUP convertables being produced now than ever b4.

hooper2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

In that same wind I'm on my 12m kite with a strapped 5'2" surfboard. Go kiting man, it's the future of riding waves.

Aloha,
Hooper

:lol:
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooper, I've been bobbing for waves for years on various sized boards and sails while kiters watch me windsurfing in winds where kites fall out of the sky. That is, if they can even be launched. I didn't want to mention that, but since you decided to chime in...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the rant folks. glad to hear Konas are out in force in Long Island. :~)
hooper2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

Take no offense in my comments as I'm just trying to share my personal opinions on what I believe is the most efficient and powerful means of riding waves. I understand your passion as I felt the same about light air windsurfing. I have been windsurfing for 15 years and traveled all over the world to wave sail. This was without a doubt my favorite means of riding waves. However, just this year I've come to realize that wave riding with a kite allows more freedom to surf a wave with the option of using the wind to perform power moves. Not to mention the light air opportunities (10 knots +).

Mahalo,
Hooper
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebristen,

In subplaning winds, say 12 knots and under, do you think that a board with no footstraps is more comfortable and efficient pumping into and riding small waves? Starboard's and Naish's new SUP/longboards don't have footstrap options but many say they prefer riding light winds and waves without them - supposedly you feel much more free to move about the board. I was just wondering what your thoughts were regarding footstraps and whether you prefer them in lighter winds. Also, how do you like the Kona's duck tail; does it really loosen up the board's turning ability on a wave?

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: