myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shallow Doug's and a broken toe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
advgeek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Shallow Doug's and a broken toe Reply with quote

The river was really low on Sunday and I learned my lesson about sailing Doug's when it's so shallow. You could only sail right in the channel and it was hard to judge where it got shallow on either side. I was coming in a little fast and suddenly realized I was over the shallows and like an idiot decided that getting off my board rather than run aground was the best thing to do. Well it turned out it was only 6" deep not 3' like I was expecting and I jammed by left leg into the sand hard and broke my little toe and sprained 2 others.

Anyway, I'm not quite ready to pack it in for the season, anyone sailed with a broken toe before? Problems?
charleegirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have really good aim getting into your footstraps. You may want to tape your toes together with duct tape, that's what I did. Speedy recovery!
markandmonique

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you should be lucky you didn't go over the bars a break your neck...
elliot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke my toe at the beginning of one season. Sailed all summer but kept on breaking the same toe over and over at least 4 or 5 times. Foot strapes and rocks seem to attract broken toes. Mad
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news about water levels being so low is the opportunity to clear out obstacles that are normally underwater. I pulled out a big tree trunk yesterday from the Home Valley launch area... that thing nearly broke my ankle last June.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my little toe kept rebreaking, the doc said sailing before it was fully healed could leave me permanently lame from arthritis. Cost me half a Gorge season.

One guy did break his neck on that sandbar a few years ago.

\m/
advgeek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
When my little toe kept rebreaking, the doc said sailing before it was fully healed could leave me permanently lame from arthritis. Cost me half a Gorge season.

One guy did break his neck on that sandbar a few years ago.

\m/

Yeah, I know it's the right thing to do is to let it rest, but it's so tempting to just get a few more sessions in before winter. Plus I now have to sit on the beach and watch my G.F. out there. That's like torture.

Maybe duct tape and booties?
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sliced the whole length of my big toe in baja on a razor clam? put duct tape on and continued to sail, not smart. got infected not to mention a little blood in the ocean is like an open invite to big fish. the things we'll do not to miss out.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jammed my big toe last year - really hurt. I got some "waterproof foam" medical tape at Fred Meyer's and wrapped it really well. It provides a lot of extra support for the toe but you still have to be careful with the footstraps. Also, I use booties.
bobg
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
I sliced the whole length of my big toe in baja on a razor clam? put duct tape on and continued to sail, not smart. got infected not to mention a little blood in the ocean is like an open invite to big fish. the things we'll do not to miss out.

Urine attracts sharks at least as much as does blood, according to Hawaiian shark research. Think about that next time you drop into the water with a dumb smile on yer face.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: