myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stop ripping on Iwindsurf
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year, real time wind data saves me hundreds -- conceivably thousands -- of dollars in fuel, helps me catch dozens of days of shredding and skip dozens of skunks, and saves dozens of hours of useless driving time. More often that not, I leave home when iW tells me the wind's picking up to sailable levels and a quick radar check shows that it's synoptic
(i.e., not due to a passing squall). NOAA has the radar, but I have no other source for that wind data, so it's priceless.

Then when I'm at a site, iW data helps me rig. When lighting obscures the water conditions (the watery terrain is often obscured by glare and the wind line is often hundreds of yards offshore), a look at the graph and current data tells me which board, fin, sail, and outhaul tension to rig for now and maybe for what's coming. Ditto when it's time to move to a different site.

This past weekend was a classic example. Several buds sat at our usual site all weekend for a couple of gusty hours on 5.2s and 5.7s and essentially no swell. I looked at my cell phone iW plots and data and split for another site 25 miles away, drove, and got two 4.0 days in chest-to-shoulder-high, shore-to-shore sine waves for my effort. Thank you, iW, for saving me from my buds' fate.

\m/
Terryg11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Godsey,

Please NEVER EVER EMAIL MY PRIVATE ACOUNT AGAIN.

That is way out of line.

thank you.
blireef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm wondering who is twisting your arm while you write the check to iwindsurf??? It's pretty simple, if you like it, pay if you don't like it, don't.. Am I missing some important concept here?? Down in Baja the computer forcast rarely goes above 10 knots even when it's been blowing 25 for a week. It's way better with Mike down there.. And Mike you can email my "private site"any time you want... Jim
blireef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry

Last edited by blireef on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
repooc99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try windonthewater.com
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: after a dead calm morining it is ripping at the Hatch Reply with quote

Hi Terryg11

Sorry, I did not know that you did not want to be contacted using the contact information you gave us. I really dislike companies that are impersonal and do not listen to their customers. That is why I sent you a personal message about the Baja forecasts and your opinion of George and Stuart's Gorge forecast. To repeat my message:

1. iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com does in fact have FREE winter Baja East Cape forecasts twice daily, on-site reports and daily recaps during the peak season.

2. Since I do the Hatch/Swell "on-site" reports and see the sailing grounds almost all day I have a very good idea about George and Stuart's forecast accuracy for that part of the corridor. Their forecasts are far from perfect and there were 3 days this season when they were totally off base (one of those recent days was the most epic in an while) but overall I think they go a very good job allowing for the tendency of the Gorge's winds to sometimes fade abruptly.

3. Maybe you are looking at the computer forecasts iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com provides. There I have to agree with you. Those are truly laughable forecasts.

So enough of this ripping on iwindsurf.com at least for today.... incredibly, after a dead calm morning, it is ripping at the Hatch just as George forecast! I have to go sailing!

Mike Godsey
Mike@iwindsurf
gmclean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: after a dead calm morining it is ripping at the Hatch Reply with quote

windfind wrote:

incredibly, after a dead calm morning, it is ripping at the Hatch just as George forecast! I have to go sailing!

Mike Godsey
Mike@iwindsurf

It wasn't me, it was those always accurate computer models Shocked

George
bkmugu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

case in point today. didn't drive 3hr 40min to maryhill for last session of year because forecast was dead nuts on, which meant 9 more billable hours of work = $$$$ banked. u complainers are just pissed this year wasn't that good. don't blame iwindsurf. peace out.
Terryg11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: after a dead calm morining it is ripping at the Hatch Reply with quote

__I've deleted what I wrote__ in the interest of not starting yet another in a long line of flame wars here.

But, I will say this much again: do not send private email in response to forum posts. No one is going to appreciate that. If you really have something to say off the record, then PM people.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkmugu wrote:
u complainers are just pissed this year wasn't that good. don't blame iwindsurf. peace out.

I thought it was a good year...smaller swell and more 5.2 days than wanted, but many days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: