myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
good wave-surfing location near SF Bay for beginner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: good wave-surfing location near SF Bay for beginner? Reply with quote

I usually surf in Santa Cruz (conventional) @ steamer, 38th, pleasure pt., those types of places but was wondering if anyone could think of a good place for a beginner to catch some waves on a windsurfer maybe where it isn't too crowded and I won't have everyone in the lineup trying to kill me?

steamer lane seems ideal, but with the crowds and my beginner-abilities not a good idea I'm sure.

Pacifica is too shore-breaky... HMB is similar. there's always Mavs of course... hmmm

I live in the SJ area so that means Santa Cruz is only 30 miles and Pacifica is about 45, SF area is 60 or so.

tks!

btw I was out in Santa Cruz near the pier and some guys on the cliff where telling me that's the first time they had ever seen a windsurfer out there. what a pain it is to go up and down the cliff with gear btw. next time I think I will rig it when I get *down* the cliff, lol
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Wave Surfing on a Windsurfer Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Davenport Landing works well. The center channel lets one launch without much of a shore break and if the reef, to the left, is crowded, you can sail Shark Bites to the right. The point upwind blocks the wind a bit so you may not be able to ride the wave all of the way in, but it gets you some time on waves.

I also windsurf Pleasure Point. Usually it is open between Second Peak and O'Neill's. With a windsurfer one can catch the fast, long period waves and have a blast. It takes a strong Southwest wind, however, and that is rare. Sharks can also be good in this situation. I use a large board and sail for this sailing. I need something to handle the lack of wind inside. The point blocks the wind near shore as the Southwest wind clocks Westward during the late afternoon.

Natural Bridges works well for long period waves, but it is a shore break so you won't be able to ride the same waves the surfers are on at that spot too well. Plus the wind is less as you approach the shore.

Have fun windsurfing waves. There is nothing better.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Wave Surfing at Davenport Landing Reply with quote

Hi Joe T,

By the way, Saturday's conditions (10/20/07) were not what I had in mind for you when recommending Davenport Landing. That was sort of an epic day. Most all summer the waves have been relatively small and a taste could be had without putting oneself in harm's way. Saturday was different.

Regards,

Windward1
JoeT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah no worries Surprised

yesterday I surfed (normal) my 7' al merrick flyer-II thruster @ steamer lane---- holyholyholyshit if you know what I mean... sets rolling in around 10-12' (15'??) I only managed a coupla' shoulders but I'm a little rusty and haven't spent any time in the pool this summer.

today I surfed pleasure point (5-8') much more manageable. sets weren't rolling through house-sized today at least. very little current, mellow for the power out there.

I'll definitely wait for a 2-3' day for windsurfing with my (limited) skills :p

thanks for the heads-up I'll definitely head up the coast from SC to waddel or davenport to check it out. just have to wait for the right conditions. if the waves are this good though no way am I bringing out the windsurfer :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: