myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to sail near Farmington NM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Where to sail near Farmington NM? Reply with quote

The wind is supposed to crank tomorrow and I want to go sailin...where's the best place to sail W/NW winds near Farmington Nm ?
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan lake??

http://thewindmap.com/wiki/index.php/Morgan_Lake%2C_NM_USA-North_America
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan Lake is the place to go. It is west of Farmington about 20 minutes away and IS a HEATED LAKE! Typically the lowest water temp is about 65 degrees even in winter. There are some days in the fall but mostly sailing is Feb Through May and is comfortable with air temps above about 40 degrees. Hands get cold but jump into water to warm up. Not unusual to sail 3-5 to 4-5 sails routinely in the springtime.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Morgan Lake camping Reply with quote

Can I camp (actually just park overnight with my truck camper) at Morgan Lake? Is it safe? Anyone heard of any "incidents" there? I sailed there (many) years ago but don't remember where I parked overnight. Very unique spot - sailing in a hot tub!
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from Farmington a number of years ago but I believe it is still safe. As with most places there are few sailors there anymore but my friend still sails there and told me that nothing has changed much. Morgan is on Navajo land with the powerplant right there. Navajo's are generally friendly, helpful and safe; unless they get drunk in town and beat each other to a pulp, but that does not seem to spread to Morgan. It really is a good place to sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pull up, dump ye gear out, go to sleep (or sail all night by the light from the power plant), and sail/eat/sleep as long as the wind lasts. It's frontal -- no thermal activity -- so milk any wind ya get as long as you have a calorie left in your body.

Tips:
Carry a shovel and bury your crap.

Don't get excited about strong winds in the dead of winter unless you live in Farmington. They do not mix down well when the Farmington valley is ice cold.

They shut down the plant in late winter for a few days of maintenance. The water gets cold fast.

I used to think the air had to be over 40 to enjoy sailing there, until we drove there for 40 and got 30. It was still fun, barefooted and barehanded but hooded, in wet suits not dry suits (you WANT the warm water to get into your suit). Take a big oversized snowmobile or insulated farmer suit to throw on while rigging.

During the lulls, don't do ashore to freeze with the lemmings. Sail to the south/hot side, drop into the hot tub, and snooze until the wind resumes. (D U H !) You'll stay much warmer and gain significant shred time when all you have to do is wake up, waterstart, and sheet in.

Morgan isn't Maui. But the water is often warmer, it's wind, the swell can hit three feet, the camping is free, the shoreline is very user-friendly, the night sky is world class, there are restaurants and motels nearby, and there's good skiing an hour or two away between fronts.

The NM Windsurfing Association forum is at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/nmwindsurfing/ .

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: