myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Pismo Beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Pismo Beach Reply with quote

whats the scoop on Pismo??? I'm going up there thursday night-sunday morning. Bringing a 5.8 or 5.3. Whats the best sailing in that area? I heard the swell is like 20 FEET!!! for central california. Not going to launch if its that big......at least not with MY gear Smile Smile Very Happy
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! i am a student at Cal Poly San luis Obispo and i've been windsurfing at pismo the last month or two. a couple things to be aware of
1) you actually launch at Oceano( or i do), where you can drive out onto the beach, its $5 for a day, or $50 for a season.
2) its very on shore, kinda hard to get out if you're not lit, so rig big!
3) i have heard that if you go south on the beach it gets more off shore, which can be better to ride in. i have never gone down there my self... no one to do it with so far.
4) 5.8 maybe 5.3, i have had a bunch of 95L 5.7 days(im about 180lb's), i have had a couple 95L, 5.3 days. i have heard saturday should be epic..today is good, and yesterday was awesome.
5) check http://xtremebigair.com/KBWebcams.cfm?&DID=18&User_ID=672108&st=6892&st2=-88223969&st3=-38524146
for current wind information. if it's blowing about 15 i head out.
6) if you go to the centeral coast sensors(on IW), and its blowing south of pismo(port angrulla, santa maria, etc.) it will blow at pismo later in the day, it usually gets sailable around 12, peaks at 2, and dies by 4.
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thing to think about is side shore wave sailing at Arroyo laguna(45minutes north) or Jalama(45 minutes south). Or lake sailing at lopez lake. all of those are good options too!
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay over night at a motel don't leave your boards on top of your car or they may get jacked.
jskayne2969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Sailing Oceano - Grand Ave. Reply with quote

I sailed there this summer...the water was really nice. You can park in the lot by the entrance, no need to pay! I just rigged over on the sidewalk and then walked out the little board walk they have there. At least if the wind shuts down there you have a nice long sandy beach to stroll (aka drag your crap) back to the parking lot. Enjoy!

P.S. Anyone ever sailed north Morro Bay / Cayucos? It seem like it would blow sideshore if it isn't too sheltered.
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sailed north morrow..still pretty on shore there. Sad
victor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a great place for a land sailer. wind straight onshore. wide beach. unfortunately the part i was at was full of sandbuggies and atvs. maybe there's a section where they don't allow motor vehicles.
PhillipHill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Morro Bay winter/spring sailing Reply with quote

P.S. Anyone ever sailed north Morro Bay / Cayucos? It seem like it would blow sideshore if it isn't too sheltered.[/quote]

When a 20 - 30 knot clearing wind occurs:
If Arroyo Laguna is a "whiteout", superb bump n junp conditions are to be ripped on Morro Bay.

Regardless of the tidal stage, park and launch from the small dirt parking lot 200 yards north of the Morro Bay Natural History Museum. In front of the golf course.

The sailing direction is southwesterly from the launch, about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile reach. Beware of the shallow mudflats on the opposite side of the channel.

Call the Morro Bay Coast Guard station to get the current wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: