myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who got Davenport/Waddell on Saturday afternoon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Who got Davenport/Waddell on Saturday afternoon? Reply with quote

Mid/High 20's and I saw some big swell rolling into Pacifica . . . give it to me, was it as good as it looked down there?
Cardinal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Solid mast and a half Reply with quote

I was on an 8 m kite. The early part of the afternoon most of the waves were at least mast and a half (there was one windsurfer out riding - 4-6 kites). The guy broke his mast a little later. It was insanely big. The swell calmed down later in the afternoon but with the higher tide, it was still pushing a mast high wave - some taller. Most of the time it closed up so you had to really pick your spot and count waves.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: mast and a half high waves at Davenport Reply with quote

Big Stuff , there was occasionally some waves breaking all the way across the channel . The wind was a little fluky the average sail size was mid 5's for the people that were planning most of the time, even then sometimes people where slogging until they were a 100 to 200 yards out. Only the better sailors were attempting it . Also the shore break was pretty rough even for the experienced, not big just top to bottom nasty onto the sand. I just watched but the guys sailing were telling me there was a heavy current also . The North Peak (surfing peak to West and North) was the only one being worked it looked like there was a big hole over the South Peak. A lot of the regulars were just watching man it looked like Hookipa on a big day, awesome just to watch .
I looked at Waddell afterwards not as much wind and closed out waves. Scotts Creek had a lot of Kiters and the surf was also pretty big.
SWE106

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid mast and a half Reply with quote

gbier wrote:
I was on an 8 m kite. The early part of the afternoon most of the waves were at least mast and a half (there was one windsurfer out riding - 4-6 kites). The guy broke his mast a little later. It was insanely big. The swell calmed down later in the afternoon but with the higher tide, it was still pushing a mast high wave - some taller. Most of the time it closed up so you had to really pick your spot and count waves.

The guy who broke his mast at waddell was me. I got flung of my board by a windgust on top of the 2nd to last setwave (the wind was perfect side-shore, almost side-side-off). It screwed up my timing and I took the last - and biggest- set wave right on the head. I had to swim for 15min to get in. With 4 or 5 dead seals on the beach, some without crucial bodyparts, the warden sure had had his lunch already... I was glad for that. I got another set on the head too while swimming in, and was pretty beat when I dragged my gear out (I mainly saw stars...). Mother ocean sure knocked some senses into me, and told me to use my brain and start timing. Punching through smaller summer waves is over, the winter waves punch thru you instead. Later on, I rigged my 5.9 and had the rides of my live. The tide dropped a bit, so the waves got more holy, but were just HUMONGOUS! Easily mast and a half on the biggest sets, counted from a 5.9. You had to time your ride and especially your way out very carefully, but boy what an experience once on a monster like that.

I have some overview pics that I will post later today. Just to give you an idea of how big it was. Check out Alex Pang's website to see pics from saturday at Dport.

I heard from Ernie that lots of gear got trashed at dport too. It certainly was one of those beautifull days to die an honourable death.

aloha
arnie
S-106
bob1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right On! Sorry I missed it . . .

My buddy just forwarded these D-Port shots from last Saturday (courtesy of his friend Jarret:

"http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~pang/ws/locals/2007/oct20.07/"

Yeah, it was mackin' in the channel big time . . .
SWE106

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some of the promised pics. I resized them for easy of uploading, and due to the only 4x optical zoom on my point and shoot canon powershot nothing radical like Alex Pang's stuff, but they give a nice overview I think!

IMG_0035b.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.49 KB
 Viewed:  15374 Time(s)

IMG_0035b.JPG

IMG_0034b.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.69 KB

IMG_0034b.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.75 KB

IMG_0032.JPG

capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I wish we got surf like that down here in SoCal. Actually I wish we had surf half that size in Socal.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how do you make it to the outside on a day like that? It looks pretty consistant!
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to get out? Time the sets very carefully and wait for the last set-wave (often the biggest). After that, it is pretty flat, the wind fills in more (because such huge waves screw up the wind pattern a bit) and then make a run for it. Chicken jibe where needed. I timed it wrong the 3rd time out and ended up with a broken mast and a 15min swim. Time it right and you get the rides of your live.

Also, try to go for the last set-wave, that way you are more certain not to meet big waves on your way out when you finished riding the wave. If you are on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc set-wave, make sure to jibe of it's shoulder earlier then normal, that way you can make it past the incomming bigger mamma's.

ps: I enjoy surf half the size actually more, becuase it allows for full-on wave sailing without too much scare (at least at my level).
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you time it wrong and blow your "chicken jibe" then your gonna get worked. Is that about right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: