myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Recommendation at Rio Vista JP FSW 77 RRW 82, RRD FSW?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knicksrule111

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Board Recommendation at Rio Vista JP FSW 77 RRW 82, RRD FSW? Reply with quote

I am an intermediate sailor (ht 5'7" wt 150 lbs) who has sailed in Southern Cal (Cabrillo) for 5 years on my Hi-Fly Move 95L. I can plane jibe well and fast tack okay and have moved to Rio Vista where I realize that I'm not as good as I thought... I was blown off the water (22-28knots) on my board and a 4.2/5.0 sail in july, august and sept... I am looking at the JP FSW 77 or 84, RRW 74 or 82 and RRD FSW 78L and was wondering if people could give me recommendations!
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed a 80L RRD FSW at the Gorge and loved it - easy to control even when overpowered 4.7. Enjoyed it much more that a full on wave board (angulo 75L) I tried in the same condition ( and I am more a wave sailor than anything else). It has that sort of "lock and load" feeling where you could just point the thing off the wind and it would not get all squirrelly.
Get a good fin as traditionally the fins that come with the RRD's are crap though that seems to be changing. PS "Boards" magazine UK's next issue is doing a big review of Freestyle Wave boards.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 2006, RRD FSW 94 liter and love it. Its my big board. I use it in the waves on the light days and on the bay in a variety of conditions. I use it with up to a 6.3 Ezzy wave (my biggist sail). I also own a 74 liter Rad Wave RRD from the same year. I also love it. The shapes are very nice and they ride very well. The footpads are nice and cushy too. They come with MFC fins, which are not crap, but I always customize my fins.

I have never owned a JP, but many people love them. My only warning is that I see many people breaking them. The RRD's are very well built and very light weight. I know nothing about the third brand you listed.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an epic year indeed! Mild summers in Sacramento lead to windy summers in the delta. But past results are not predictive of results in future periods. Future results may be lower or higher than current results so invest wisely.

JP's are good boards and do hold their value, but as gerritt said, are ding prone. They almost require the nose protector.

Coachg
jkayes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evo. Evo. Evo. It's a great board that jumps up onto a plane and carves hard -- you can also take it to the coast and have a blast or do new school freestyle on flat days thanks to its wide nose.

And don't forget your "quiver" of fins. The delta sees such a wide range of conditions that you will really notice the difference in fins. I recommend G Sport fins (the Surf fin is ideal for the supernukers - it's a gorge-style fin), MFC's sideshore is great if you trek down to the coast and the MFC Core was nice in Maui for both the flats and the waves. All of them were designed to minimize spinouts and make sailing overpowered much easier. Of course for the really flat days when I want to spin, I have a few Derek Lueck custom jobs. If you're getting blown off the water, you will definitely want to invest in a good gorge-style fin to keep your stability -- the factory fin just won't cut it.

PS, I've heard that the Quatro FSW is also a great choice in boards.
dlester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knicksrule, I'm exactly your size and have sailed Rio, at the Sign, for many years and tried lots of gear. By far, the board I had the most consistantly great times on was a JP 78 Wave. It's also really important to get a good fin as most wave fins, if not all, are JUNK. On a typical windy day especially on the ebb tide the Wave was much more fun than the FSW because of better turning and on really high wind days the Wave is way more controllable. For light wind days you need a completely different set-up, something like a Mike's lab slalom board. To have any fun at all in light wind you need a really light weight board that's fast.........IMO
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I will take that back - the shape of the RRD fins is probably not crap ( they are the MFC fins that a lot of people use). My biggest beef is that you 'touch' a rock and the fins get a big nick out of them that never seems to sand down smoothly - unlike G10 construction. I notice the new RRD FSW's have G10 fins.
chuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comming from a pro the JP fsw 78 is way to wavy and slow for bump and jump sailing
The FANATIC FREEWAVE 77 has a much flatter rocker line which makes it a lot faster. Speed is the key to jumping, jybing and bragging rights for passing your friends all the time.

wyatt
dlester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chuck that speed is important for jumping, but at Rio, on a ebb you can only go so fast before getting into trouble. I felt the JP Wave was plenty fast enough with a good small slalom fin which helped a lot to get more of the board out of the water to generate more speed, as any "Pro" would know. Plus with the wave board you can do other things that are fun other than just passing people. And I did say "on a typical windy day" which is 20+ and with a 150lb rider........IMO
dlester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: