myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Anna's and Lake Mojave
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Santa Anna's and Lake Mojave Reply with quote

Just back from a three day weekend at Lake Mojave on the Nevada/Arizona border. We knew the Santa Anna’s would kick in and make for some crazy wind. Sunday I was forced to sail a 4.2 while everyone else was 3.0 to 3.5. Monday was in the mid 4's. Today would be in the low 5 range if we didn't have to get back to work. Oh and before the north wind came Saturday we sailed high 5's on a south with great swell and 90 degree weather.
Only five of us on the water though. I would imagine that the LA crowd would want in on this since it is only three hours to the east. It seems like every October and November the wind absolutely kills there. Look for the Santa Anna's and pack the small cloth. Best three days in a row I have had since my summer gorge trip.
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Anna's and Lake Mojave Reply with quote

EzzyCzar wrote:
I would imagine that the LA crowd would want in on this since it is only three hours to the east.

Just FYI:

I don't mean to shock you, but some of us in LA are totally indifferent to sailing in lakes. Been there, done that. Lake sailing doesn't come close to ocean sailing, on ANY LEVEL!!!

While it may satisfy a sense of "curiosity" for some, personally, during days like these, I'd rather take the time to catch up on work, get my nails done, learn to salsa, etc.... (if you get my drift)
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now nealpar don't go thumbin your nose at the guy just cuz it ain't your thing. You know sailing Leo without swell or waves is just like sailing a lake anyway. Oh that's right, on those days you are getting a pedicure.
leonardgale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are the launch sites at the lake?
sharkasm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by sharkasm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
You know sailing Leo without swell or waves is just like sailing a lake anyway.

I couldn't disagree with you more. (surprised?) I waterskied on rivers and lakes for years as a teenager, and learned to windsurf at a lake. Had a blast doing both, so I don't begrudge people that are into lake or river activities. However, I have no interest in lake or river sailing, for I perceive subtle, but significant differences between being in a lake/river vs. the ocean, starting with the "icky film" that freshwater leaves all over the equipment and me. Also, even after hours of being in the water, ocean sports leave me feeling energized, whereas the other places produce the opposite effect, totally sapped. Perhaps it's chemical, perhaps it's ionic, but for me, there is a huge difference, which "makes all the difference" in where I choose to spend my leisure time.

PS: The winds aren't "Santa Anna" winds. It's "Santa Ana", which was originally SANTANA. Thus, no relation to any saint, but actually, the opposite. That being JPBassking. Twisted Evil
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkrasnoff wrote:
Don't let Nealpar fool you, if you said you also had cold beer, frosty margaritas and good salsa music, she'd be there in a flash. Very Happy

Very Happy I could tell you stories about those starry nights at Lake Mead or the Colorado river, in the 80's...

....only they pale in comparison to the stories about the starry nights in Maui, San Carlos, the South Pacific, the Red Sea, etc... Wink
sharkasm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by sharkasm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
indeed, some of those nights looked like the Van Gogh painting, but there were others, where...what I saw was even more twisted, squiggly, fuzzy, amorphous, ...etc... Laughing
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, it seems the best place for a north wind is cabinsite point.

South wind works better at the northend of the lake at six mile cove.

Last edited by WindsurfUtah on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: