myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind In Oahu iin December....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julianstokes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Wind In Oahu iin December....? Reply with quote

Wondering what the typical wind pattern/range is for the middle of December in Oahu? May go to visit friends in Dec, 10-16th, any chance of getting some time on the water windsurfing, or should I plan other activities?
laci

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get lucky and get some trade winds. Try Kailua if the weatherpeople predict trades for the next day. That's where all the rentals are and the most consistent wind.
julianstokes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw there is the possibility of a decent day in December from the historical data...obviously no guarantee but at least it is possible.

Thanks for the heads up on the place to head for.
weihlac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind In Oahu iin December....? Reply with quote

You may be lucky, but it is very unpredictable in mid-December. Plan on other activities and be pleasantly surprised if it blows. You can see 5 days in a row of sailable wind (likely with somewhat larger sails than usual in HI), or 10 days of 5 knts. max. I would not take your gear - if it is windy you will find plenty of good equipment to rent.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Its typically unreliable this time of year. If your staying in Kailua then your in luck. Thats where the only 2 windsurf shops are on the whole island. Kailua is about 30 mins east of Hono and is "windward" gets the trades.
I was just there last week and stayed in north shore, Haleiwa surfing at Waimea. The wind was actually pretty damn steady but under 15kts. Perfect for a 6.5 and a Kona floater to play in the waves. I could only find 4 windsurf stores in the whole Island phone book! Renting gear is very, very limited.
Safe to say with the exception of Naish Hawaii Oahu is strictly "surf" territory. Good waves as you know. VERY ridable, not like the crunchy shit we get here were you pay everytime with your life. Have fun,

IMG_1776.jpg
 Description:
View of Turtle beach break from my place.
 Filesize:  760.14 KB
 Viewed:  13763 Time(s)

IMG_1776.jpg

spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture was terrible try this one.
Be sure to watch The Surf Channel on Cable channel 14.

IMG_1668.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1006.14 KB
 Viewed:  13746 Time(s)

IMG_1668.jpg

maui95

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the computer generated model tables from iwindsurf and wind guru are fairly accurate indicators for the trades winds around the Hawaiian islands within 3-5 days prior to the date in question. I have found this helpful for making plans when I'm there (and properly picking the non-windy days to do activities with my non-windsurfing wife!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: