myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Closed by Oil Spill
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbknap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an ecological disaster. Thanks for the updates and helpful info. We had a 300,000 gallon spill at Huntington Beach in 1990, but since then the spills have been smaller.
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Looks like there is a criminal investigation going on... Reply with quote

...AP/Yahoo News: Looks like the crew of the ship that spilled the oil is being detained for a possible criminal investigation:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071112/ap_on_re_us/bay_spill
pthorner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Spill Clean Up & Volunteer Opportunites Reply with quote

I was up in a helicopter this afternoon and most of the sheen was no longer visible. The on the water oil has sunk, diluted, or ended up on the shore. The effort is not all about the oil onshore and animal rescue.

It took a while to get to where volunteers could get out on the beach to help, but the EPA ran training today in Berkeley and San Francisco and got volunteers out on the beaches. There will be another real training opportunity on Wednesday - check out zunasurf.com for info. They are still working on the venue but probably in Fort Mason. Other volunteer opportunities:

volunteercalifornia.org
owcn.org (Oiled Wildlife Care Network)
baykeeper.org

Some of the phone numbers have changed:

To report oil sightings in the bay, please call 415-398-9617
To report oiled wildlife, please call 415-701-2311
To file a claim for oiled property, please call 888-850-8486

Former SFBA President Bill Robberson is the point man for EPA, so you can know that a real Bay lover is helping drive the clean up.

Everyone wants to help once the disaster hits but it is difficult to put people to work without training and organization. Consider working with an organization now so that you can be part of the response team next time around. There are a lot of organizations out there such as the Coast Guard Auxiliary, Oiled Wildlife Care Network, Marine Mammal Center, etc. plus local emergency preparedness groups that help with fire and earthquake response. The more time you can put in, the higher level your training and experience will be and the more you can do later as a responder.

Peter Thorner
pthorner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Bunker Fuel & Pick Up of Hazardous Material Reply with quote

I forgot an important number > 907-632-1006

This is the number to call if you have or know of collected oil/tar materials so that they can put it on the pick up list. Do not put this stuff in the regular garbage as it will go to the wrong disposal site and probably end up in our ground water. The Bunker Oil is very toxic and fumes can cause lung injury. If handled, one should use heavy gloves and then make sure you properly dispose of the gloves and oiled shoes as well. The recommendation is that the material should be double bagged if it is collected.

For more info on Bunker Fuel:

http://www.valero.com/NR/rdonlyres/18D1EE0F-7CB7-4985-9F47-84976F2E65C5/0/BunkerFuel200.pdf

Friends of The Earth is working on a campaign to call for legislation to phase out the use of bunker fuel

www.foe.org
http://action.foe.org/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=816
kursatu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea when Crissy field beach will be reopened or
when it will be safe for windsurfing again?
bil7y

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: crissy Reply with quote

It was still closed today- however the weather was very good for Formula Sailing. If it looks like that tomorrow - saturday - I am going in - I can't stand it. I will post saturday night of any adverse effects .
mtnview

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kursatu wrote:
Does anyone have any idea when Crissy field beach will be reopened or
when it will be safe for windsurfing again?

They've just re-opened it. Try not to do any face-plants in the mud Wink

http://www.coscobusanincident.com/go/doc/1641/182802/

/// Dave ///
bil7y

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: not really 'open' Reply with quote

They reopened the beach - not the launch. Oil barrier still deployed so you can't launch from crissy - I guess you could do some boarder cross over teh barrier. So I launched from ST Fyc parking lot. No signs of oil and the water seemed normal. It was very light but still got about 90 minutes of decent sailing, Hopefully the oil boom will come down soon.
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched as the oil barriers were removed early this morning. There are still signs on the beach warning people about the oil spill.

Incidentally, epenrose talked me into going for a little stand up session at Fort Point last Saturday. Since it was his anniversary, and since the beach was still supposedly closed, I argued against but of course we ended up launching at the old Coast Guard station. After I caught a couple of rides, I was shocked to see a helicopter emerge from the thick fog and begin hovering directly overhead. Its appearance was followed by the sounds of sirens as the Presidio FD, County Lifeguard, Presidio Police, SFFD jet skis (2, no less), and a rescue swimmer appeared on the jetty at Ft. Point.

Pthorner's boys, the Coast Guard also arrived in three boats, and the SFPD RIB also made an appearance. Needless to say we were getting ready to get cuffed and taken out of the water as we were literally surrounded. Turns out, someone called 911 claiming that a person was having trouble in the water, and the cavalry arrived in force. Of course anyone that saw epenrose's paddling style would be concerned, but the real question is, if all those agencies can appear so quickly, why the f**k was it so hard for a Coast Guard boat to make it around the corner at Yerba Buena island and check on a container ship that just hit the Bay Bridge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: