myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best San Carlos campo for a van
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rationalnational

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Best San Carlos campo for a van Reply with quote

Was wondering if any of you folks could share their San Carlos campo designs. I'm taking my E 250 down and need some design ideas for the camp. Been there before but stayed at Solo.

Thanks Very Happy
rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn no one wants to give up any secrets do they ?
flynbri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Think Vee Reply with quote

Unfortunately the great wind we go down there for sometimes never stops!

Take a look at Kevin's camp and anyone who has ever dealt with a continous stream of 25+ wind and dust and plan to make a Vee enclosure. Most people will fashsion tarps around their vehicles, blocking out all gaps under the cars in an effort to create a wind and sun block. I've seen some pretty nice frame structures with bungee loaded tarp attachments, wheel covers and more. The simplest thing to do is get a mega tarp, drive over one side and throw the whole thing over the truck.

After my first trip of eating dust and having my tent blow away, I bought a VW campervan just for San Carlos.

Good Luck! Laughing

chilibowl.jpg
 Description:
Wavalicious!
 Filesize:  118.55 KB
 Viewed:  21109 Time(s)

chilibowl.jpg

rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that. I did take a walk about and saw the tarp over one. Saw a cool pvc/corrugated awning set-up with a van. Rob from realwind has one of dem nice trailors which help you make a vee and build from there.

keep the input coming. It's appreciated. heading down there in March for a multi week excursion.
kerplunk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of tarps, use shade cloth. It's more expensive, but it doesn't flap all night and keep you awake.
elenna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try here, this illustrates the windblocks on the side better.

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Eric
rationalnational

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks elenna.

In that second photo of the totyota and the suburban(or whatever) do you think those structures are tough to hold up for 5-8 weeks down there ?

Thats kinda where I am stuck right now. Trying to figure out what will last.

Thanks for the link. I had read it earlier but missed the photo's.

Not worried about los bandito's at all. will definitely drive in the morning.

any more photo's & links are greatly appreciated. Thank you all
elenna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the canopy that is mesh adn use shade material for the windblocks. The one on the left is a coolaroo brand and this is the only type isn't a noisy pain in the ass.

An example of a Coolaroo gazebo that works well down there is

http://www.coolaroo.com/northernupdate/html/proDetails.asp?ProdCode=313395

Side material set up. A rough diagram is attached at but it's pretty easy to figure out.

With the shade material, put some gromettes at the edges to hook to the canopy frame along the inside of the canopy. Do a sleeve at the bottom of the wind block and use a two piece PVC pipe that you can connect to act as the frame. (Two 6 ft pieces with a connector is easier to travel with than a 12' pipe) I know, I've had a 12 footer strapped to the top of the car.

What you can't see in the picture is that we attach canopy to the car by looping board straps through the car rims (or axel) and the canopy joints and cinch them down. This stabilizes the canopy and works better than nailing it to the ground. Additionally we use another piece of shade material from the top of the car (tied down to the racks) and under the canopy to the canopy frame to smooth out the air flow over the car and canopy. Bungy cords are added under both the shade material and the car to keep this out of the way and add extra stability to the canopy. The bungy cords are connected to the horizontal bar closest to the car and the roof racks. The canopy is flexible and the bungies fit under it easily. It ain't pretty but it works.

Other Tips

- Use 9" nails with washers for stakes. Standard tent stakes can't be pounded into the hard ground there. They bend or break.
- Use zip ties for the attachment of the shade material to the car, and canopy. Saves time.
- Set a couple of attachment points at the bottom of the wind block and use some rope to hold the PVC taught. Again, use nails.
-Stake down all the feet of the canopy.
-pile excess gear along the bottom of the windblock to smooth out the air flow and eliminate any wind coming under it.
-Store boards on the windward side of the car.
-Bring more tarp for flooring than we have here.
-When laying out your camp, set your tarp out and drive on it. Bring enough nails to stake down all the edges.
-Bring a piece of astro turf. Your feet will thank you for it. Tarp just doesn't cut it.
-hang up your wetsuit! I got a nasty surprise from a 10" millipede when it crawled out of the bottom of my wetsuit after I had it on. Damm thing look poisonous too. Got lucky, didn't bite me.
-bring a decent camp table. It fits well under the canopy in your new corner of bliss.
-When you arrive, get your first session in, don't set up camp. It is usually too windy. You can rough it the first day and set up in the morning.
-if you can carry some plywood for windblocks on the windward side of the car, I highly recommend them.

Try to set it up before you go and evaluate where your design if flawed. Testing something like that the first time in Baja is always a bit of an adventure.

I've been setting up this way for many years and type of canopy. We've been blown off the water many times, however; the canopy holds up. Although it looks flimsy, the coolaroo mesh minimizes the wind pressure and the air flows around it. Occasionally, you will need to reset your stakes take up the slack that is caused by the movement of the wind.

The key is silence, the most annoying thing in the world is a flapping tarp in the middle of the night. If the material is solid, i.e. tarp like, you will think you're at a heliport. Structure your wind block with that in mind and eliminate any materials that can cause noise.

Other items that you may need for an extended stay
- good pain killers
- some antibiotics, it's a long way back to El Rosario and sweating out an infection in the desert is no picnic. Thank god for good pain killers.
- wood
- surfboard
- rubbers, it's unlikely, but a friend of mine actually got laid down there. Shocking actually, he couldn't get laid in women's prison and he goes to the middle of the desert and finds a hot windsurfing chick.

I can go on about the million things that make the trip more comfortable, but you'll figure it out when you're down there.....That makes the trip memorable.

God I envy you, 8 friggin weeks, you're bound to catch few swells and have some epic times. You should break up the trip, believe me you will have some periods where bump and jump doesn't do it for you, with some side trips to the mesa, El Rosario etc.

The people are just great and you'll get to know everyone on the point. We'll be down around mid June for 8 days and hope hear some tales. Look for the ShredEx van during that time.

Eric

untitled.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.27 KB
 Viewed:  21030 Time(s)

untitled.JPG

rationalnational

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elenna, kerplunk & all,

Thank you very much for the info. You know how important it is for me to get the campo set-up working before I go in. Finding out it doesn't cut it once I arrive isn't a good thing. KT made it a point to tell me not to tarp in plastic, too. Said i would sleep horribly the whole time I was there.
Couple of questions:

- you have the coolaroo and then tarp over it & the vehicle down to it's windward side tires ? Attach side panel and then top I would assume.

- so spending the time and fashioning ply-wood trim on the windward side is worth it eh ? full length of the vehicle and rear & sides ?

- empty sand bags looked to be a good thing to bring along.

- Is 2 gallons of H20 a day enough for down there ? I will probably bring about 50-60 gallons with me (yes I know it weighs 400-480 lbs). will get more from solo/rudy or back in El Rosario.

- Is a generator ( Gas, wind, solar) important ?

- will a Sunshower be good enough ?

- How much is the coolaroo ?

- how much beer is too much ?

- it looked like a few camps are "claimed". what's the protocol there ?

- do you know anything about the shore fishing (tackle/species ) ? I know I can get fish from the camp and I asked Rudy about what was there. He said it wasn't that great in the Spring. I spoke with a couple of campers who were fishing up above the island and they picked up a nice Ling Cod.

Thanks again. Very grateful for all the coolaroo info. It looks excellent and I am just now starting to make the lists and get cracking. less than 4 months to go Smile

N
kerplunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take on some of your questions.

I use a long, narrow tarp on the windward side of my truck to block the wind from coming under the truck. I park on it and then pull it up tight and close the doors on it. I use a couple of bungies to attach it to the bumper. I stack my gear, boards and sail against it on the windward side of the truck.

I use shade cloth for the awning and side panel on the leeward side of the truck.

Empty sandbags are good to take along. Also take a couple of plastic buckets for hauling sea water. You can pre-rinse your dishes in sea water, this saves precious fresh water.

I can get by easily on 2 gallons of water a day, even with a daily shower. You can always pay Rudy or other fishermen to fill your water container when they go to town.

You will need a solar panel. I just take a small 1 amp panel, but you may need a larger one if you take a lot of electronic toys.

I use a sunshower. Keep it out of the wind or it will never get hot. On the cold, windy days I have to add some hot water to it.

I don't use a Coolaroo, although they look nice. I have a simple homemade frame, made from 3/4" EMT and connectors.

If you run out of beer or supplies, you should be able to get Rudy or other fishermen to pick stuff up the next time they are in town. Usual fee is about $20 above cost of supplies.

No campsites are owned or claimed, but the closer you are to Solo Sports the more crowded it is. Also, the Point can get crowded with big groups. I like to camp about half way between Solo and the Point. But everyone has their favorite spot. The point north of Solo has a good view; near Solo is good if you are socially inclined; the Point has a good view; and the Arroyo is protected from the wind. It's all good.

I alway buy fish at the fish camp. Just ask Rudy or meet one of the boats as they pull in. It is always a good deal.

And don't worry, you'll have a great time. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: