myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RealWinds Carbon Surf 270 XL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: 270XL Reply with quote

Hi Jord, In rough South Bay conditions 5.5 to 8.0 this is my go to board for a good time bump and jump. With a large enough fin the board will carry a 9.0 sail, but flat water only. Sails are always a problem; it's never just one more sail, but everything that goes with it. In rough water or in the surf tight jibs are a no brainer; not sure why this board turns so well but it does. In surf, head high or less hard off the bottom and hard off the top it's a no brainer. In surf overhead and a half to double overhead you have to be careful; nurse it through the turns take your time to set things up but it will still do it. With it's planning and a larger sail I get choices that I wouldn't have on my smaller stuff. I like having to decide if I'm going to jump a wave or jib on it and ride it. No, this board doesn't feel like my 85lt or 100lt wave boards but it turns well enough for me to make do. When do I get to use my smaller boards here; far and few between! It's a tough choice kite, move, or get a bigger board? Good luck with whatever you do!
jordanwd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy, thanks for the detailed reply!
Well I just rec'd the board and set her up.. she's pretty big alright but I like the shape and am confident that the soft rails, moderate rocker and foot straps over the center of the board will allow it to turn nicely in lighter winds, especially considering its size ! Like you, I was lookin for a board which would allow me much more versitility than my Evo 80 (and probably the evo 100) could offer. I can't wait to take 'er out in the surf over the next few weeks. I'll be down at South PAdre for a week or 2 were its still nice and warm (can you say baggies w/ no wetsuit heheh) and then back to the santa cruz area...
jordanwd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update...
well I took the 270xl
out for its first wave sess today, and i got to admit i was grinnin the whole time!
winds side off shore wind at about 12 gusting to17 knotts at boca chica with chest to shoulder high surf w/ a simmer icon 6.2 sail. It planed up very easily, and slasshes tight buttom turns and off the lips.. its really remarkable how loose this board is considering its size (i weigh 200# by the way)... no way i would have even considered sailing these conditions w/ my smaller stuff. (it evan feels small going through a loop).. so far givin this board 2 thumbs up. will get a chance to sail it later this week in on shore waves and then side shore conditions the day after (well, that is if you believe the nws forcast)..
this board rips for light wind wavesailing!
jordanwd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update #2..
well over the last week have been able to sail the 270XL in a number of conditions...several light wind days (13 up to 23 knots) on the icon 6.2 side/sideon shore conditions with waves rib to shoulder high and got to say for light wind days the board handles much smaller than its size..gets me through the impact zone easily and jibes on the face of the wave very quickly.. stays on a plane easily going down the line and bottom turns and comes off the lip with a very snappy feel..its what you would expect for a 130 liter board and definately does not disappooint (mushy surf at SPI)..

The real surprise was when I was sailing at Boca Chica yesterday with a cold front passage.... when the wind backed down a little and the 4.2 wasn't working on the EVO 80 anymore (the wind was blowing ~ 20 --32 knots or so with a killer current in the impact zone (s) ) ..instead of rerigging to a 4.7 I switched boards to the 270xl... and it haddled the knarly conditions VERY well... it got me through the multi impact zones with the knarrly currents well.and was able to handle the down the line bottom turns and off the lips very well for such a large board (waves were logo to mast high on the outside and head to logo high on the inside..
Ideally a smaller board would have been nice... but considering the need for more floatation due to the strong current and gusty winds (plus the wave interval was very, very close) I got to say I'm am still very impressed with this board.!
For those sailing in sub optimal wave conditions, this board- to me- feals like the real deal !
rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess I'm the slob & sorry about the earlier comment.
Dave52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: 270XL Reply with quote

Hi Jordan
Sounds like the 270XL has earned it's place in the line up. I never thought about using smaller sails with it but I will keep it in mind should the need arise. We are going through wind misery at this point; it won't be forever, I'm really looking forward to Turmo with some surf and wind! The surf has been good, just no wind.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan... trade the 130 ltr for the 103 ltr, ASAP. As soon as you ramp up a little , you will not want to sail the 130 ever. Im a 3 RW board owner, 80ltr surflite, 90ltr FISH, 103 ltr surflite, and the 103 actually does well overpowered .
Boggsy
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I took the 270xl out on another super light wind day with the 6.2 with chest high waves and had a blast (side/side on wind at SPI)... 2 days later took it out on a 4.2 day at Boca Chica (side/side off wind) with logo high surf on the outside and still got to say, despite this boards size it still handled very well considering its size. It did bounce around a bit on the cross chop and landing jumps with the board flat definately noticable on the ole knees..but all and all I was smiling the whole time..though I got to admit (obviously) the evo80 would have been alittle more fun that day.

The truth 'll be told in the next few months though as I'll be headin to the Santa Cruz area which'll have some punchier surf than hear at SPI/Boca Chica.
Dave52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jord
We are experiencing windsurfing hell, a 6.2 day would be most welcome! 4.2 on the XL, damn! Surf has been good can't complane about that.
Merry Christmas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: