myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
harness lines-back to the future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: harness lines-back to the future Reply with quote

I've been involved in this great sport for just a few years so this is new for me.
Are these old-school harness lines, not the rope itself, but the clever strap thingy that goes around the boom, any good? I have not actually tried this system but it looks as if it would work well and not damage the boom grip material.
Other than looking old-school (not necessarily bad) is there anything inherently wrong with this design?
Yes, one needs to remove the tailpiece to install and yes without a poly tube over the lines they will wear faster. Just from looking at in the garage I really appreciate this simple and cleaver system. Have we really advanced?

IMG_2640.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  359.44 KB
 Viewed:  12649 Time(s)

IMG_2640.JPG

bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the improvement in harness line "technology" is based around preventing the line from flopping around. Functionally, those lines will be the same as a pair of fixed lines from 2013 once you get hooked in. The problem will be the "getting hooked in" part. They may be OK on a longboard in light wind, but if you try to sail with them in any real breeze, they will blow all over the place and be a real pain to hook into.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair very similar to these and they worked fine back in the day as far as their attachment to the boom and adjustability. The only problem with mine was that the protective tubing that came with them was stiff and would twist the harness lines so that the "U" shape of the hanging line was twisted perpendicular to the boom which made for a difficult hook in with the harness at times.

Speaking of old equipment ideas - does anyone remember the lead filled harness lines. I bought a pair in Hatteras back in the late 80's. The idea was to have them easliy drop back into place for easy hook in during transitions. They worked well but wore out pretty fast.

Rob
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you use a roller bar, without which I will not sail for other reasons, bare rope will sever very quickly.
windydoug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That old school set up will work (as in, get you by for a bit). In addition to the rope flopping and being hard to hook into, you may also be faced with the rope looping around/over the boom when you are in the water. You'll have to flop it back over before hooking in. You would also help yourself out by getting some durable and flexible tubing to feed the rope through much like the coated lines of today.....that did the trick in the late 80's.
Wd
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember using that system; it does not look threaded correctly. There was a way to have a loop bend the line downward; also a way to loosen quickly by flipping up the webbing. Even with plastic tubing, the lines flip toward and away from you more than I like. The stiffness of a fixed line to set the lines at the correct angle and to stay there making hooking in and out more reliable and predictable. Even with adjustable lines, there is usually some stiffening reinforcement on the front attachment. dhmark
outhaul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a specific grade of polyurethane tubing that works best on harness lines?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line needs to be stiff to prevent flopping. That line looks good enough.
Tubing from a hardware store works just fine.
Boom grip get's torn, compressed, and squeezed out of shape.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my old ones recently. They are similar but there's an added velcro closure to be able to put them on the boom without dissembling. In good wind, they would twist in the wind direction out of harness reach and stay there! I tried to bring the thing down with the hand but it would instantly return to it position. That's even worst that flopping around. Many years ago, the trend was to use a very wide line spacing, probably to prevent this. It was also easier to hook in with a chest harness.

I had bought tubing but will not install it in the end even if it would reduce the twisting. Since it is highly adjustable, I keep it for the kids, when they'll want to try to sail with a harness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: