myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic ultra shark vs bic Astrorock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Fanatic ultra shark vs bic Astrorock Reply with quote

I currently have a fanatic ultra shark. The foot strap holes are all starting to pull through though. A friend has a bic astro rock for sale with board and rig for 60.00. I don't think the rig will be worth much to me but he has three nice fins that I do like that come with it as well. Is it worth the 60.00 to go for the astrotock? It has no repairs and is in really good shape . Thanks for any advice. Take care
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this link through a quick search - hopefully this will help in your decision. For $60 with 3 good fins and in decent shape with no repairs - maybe fun to buy for light to moderate winds knowing that it's very outdated.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=84774

Rob
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fanatic ultra shark vs bic Astrorock Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:
I currently have a fanatic ultra shark. The foot strap holes are all starting to pull through though. A friend has a bic astro rock for sale with board and rig for 60.00. I don't think the rig will be worth much to me but he has three nice fins that I do like that come with it as well. Is it worth the 60.00 to go for the astrotock? It has no repairs and is in really good shape . Thanks for any advice. Take care

the footstrap holes ??

The footstraps INSERTS that are in the board are coming out ?

remember the fin heads need to be compatable with the other BOX (S)

that you may get later, or sell the fins for the cash

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like old stuff and would actually use it, of course its a great deal. Sturdy medium weight board. Probably similar era board to ultrashark, adequate if probably considered lower performing replacement. Might have same obsolete "trim" fin box as Fanatic (both companies used these for a while, adjustable fore and aft). Long time ago I owned Bic Electric Rock (103 L) and Bic Rap (89 L) same generation boards, worked fine. dhmark
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astros were just about the easiest riding board ever made. Not as fast
as your Ultrashark. $60 sound like a deal to me if it isn't soft.

-Craig

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the conditions you said you sail in (in an earlier thread..8-16 knots) and your current skill set, the Astro Rock may be a little small for you. It's certainly worth $60 if it's not trashed, but it is a generation of design behind the Shark. A liter of float on the Shark is going to give you more support and stability than on the Astro Rock.

The fins, as others have pointed out, are not compatible with most boards, so the long term value of getting a bunch of fins is less than usual. Meanwhile if the rig includes a healthy clamp-on boom, it will be of some value to you.

Unless you're planning on sailing over the winter I would sit tight on gear purchases, reevaluate your situation in the Spring, consider a clinic (ABK Boardsports has a bunch of them in Hatteras and sometimes in Dewey Beach) and then work out your gear needs then. I know it's hard to look at a good deal and pass it up, but the best move for you right now may be to do nothing (well, watch instructional videos!). Perhaps see about epoxying the footstrap inserts on your Shark (which is a better board for you than the A-Rock IMHO).

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest taking the Astro Rock for a spin or two to see if you like it. If you can, always try before you buy.

Regarding the Fanatic, it would be productive to remove and replace the damaged inserts. Not only will that restore its viability, but it will give you useful experience in board repair. Over long term, learning about composite materials and the process of using them is invaluable experience. The work isn't that hard to do, and it will give you a better understanding about the equipment you're using, and it will facilitate keeping it in the best shape. Check out The Boardlady's website. It's an awesome resource that you can depend on.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenthomas:

not long ago you said you were NOT in the footstraps
this board Fanatic Ultra Shark 291 is apparently from around 1995
it was NEVER clarified IF your problem is at the foot strap or at the board
IF it is the foot strap(s) - change em !! usually less than $60

IF it is at the plug or insert, seal it up for now until you are ready to try foot straps and THEN decide whether to fix or not

for myself - i always try to stop the shop
if the stuff needs minor repairs - why replace it
okay , you are starting back, etc ...
chat with the local sailors - maybe you can try some newer stuff ??
rent ?
classes?
etc ...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had that board. Worked really good for me and they are pretty hard to break. I think they are 125 liters. Enough float to up haul. Very east to turn. For $60 I would go for it. Make sure the extra fins fit the trim box....
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroDock was only 60 cm wide, wider than most at the time, but it's combination of flat deck and thick rails made it much more stable than it's numbers, and among the best sloggin boards EVER.
Lots of 160 lbsers can SUP it no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: