myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any windy spots near Palm Springs next week?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fearlu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Any windy spots near Palm Springs next week? Reply with quote

I don't golf (but I do ride a mountain bike) and I don't play tennis (but I do kitesurf) and I'm going to Palm Springs next week for the holiday. Any reason to bring the wind gear? I know they used to speedsail at The Ponds, back in the day, but just wondering about where/if you guys ride/sail around there. Thanks for any info!

(You know, I tried to talk the wife into San Felipe but she won't let me take the crew there due to recent security-related issues, so the high desert it is! No banditos in Palm Springs. That I know of anyway...)
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: No Ponds Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the Coachella Valley Water District are the Grinches that stole our windy Ponds many years ago, something about the farmers needing the water instead of letting it settle into the aquafer. Attempts have been made to get an agreement with the CVWD to allow some use of the Ponds, but drought conditions in So Cal haven't helped the cause. However, since most windaddicts third favorite activity, behind wind and sex, of course, is eating and drinking may I suggest a visit to Las Casuelas[locations in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, and La Quinta], Macarios' on Indio Blvd just off the 10 Frwy in Indio, and Tommy Bahama's in La Quinta. All have great food and libations that will soften the" no-water for all that wind blues!" Also, very cool flea market at the College of the Desert on Monterey Blvd on weekends... good for spousal quality time points! Take the bike, some cool early AM riding to be had around PS, very scenic. Have fun! Bull
fearlu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bro, I was afraid of that. Wind, but no water! I've already downloaded the bike trails in the area from MTBR and am planning on attacking the desert climbs in lieu of any yankage...

I appreciate the other spousal-friendly options you mentioned too.
jaguilar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Fearlu-There's water, plenty of it Reply with quote

That is if you don't mind a little salt. I'm refering to the Salton Sea, the biggest lake in ca. I know someone who has ridden it, Tony the fireman from Lake Perris. It is about a hour from PS. I checked it out once but it wasn't blowing, but there is suppose to be some Santa Ana wind comint M-W. It would be great if you could scout it out, it could be a diamond in the rough. I wouldn't worry about the salt, especially since you will have your rubber on, besides your not there to drink it. Post a reply if you take me up on it.
Bud Very Happy
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled a trailer up I-10 once and it was the windiest, nastiest place ever. Oh, you wanted water too?
DouglasMayer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be careful if you ride the Salton Sea. I read an article in National Geographic, and there is some type of barrier across the lake that splits it in half to keep part of the lake less salty. You would not want to hit that weird thing while you're hauling ass across the lake. Also, the salt content will burn the crap out of your eyes, so get some goggles if you can. My buddy rode the lake in death valley two years ago when they had a 100 year rain, and when he was done, he was caked in salt. Its hot and dry, so as the water evaporates, you end up being a salt pie. Good luck, if you go for it, it would be fun to hear of your adventure.
airboundal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions. There is also the Zoo of the Dessert - very nice place to see the poor, caged magnificent animals and the local plants some of which may be in bloom this time of year. Awesome, if you like plants and can appreciate flowers!

I have always enjoyed a fall hike up the Indian Canyons. Sorry, no bike trails but WONDERFUL hiking trails. Not kite riding for sure, but it builds good appetite and good sleep anyway.

The horse-back riding through the Indian Territory is also a wonderful way to spend the morning in PS. A 2 or 4 hour ride will make for a sore bottom and and a big smile.

Enjoy!
fearlu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd heard about the zoo, I think we'll go there. The kids would dig the horses-- any tips on where to go for the ride you mentioned? I'm not sure the Salton Sea has me longing for it's residue though. If the locals don't ride there why should the out-of-towners try, right?!
airboundal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fearlu wrote:
I'd heard about the zoo, I think we'll go there. The kids would dig the horses-- any tips on where to go for the ride you mentioned?

The stables that I have gone to is Smoke Tree Stables (tel. 760/327-1372) http://www.frommers.com/destinations/palmsprings/1120020089.html
in P.S. itself at Sunrise Way & Toledo Street. Morning rides are better before the hot sun. Kids have to be 7 yrs old I believe for the actual rides although I remember that they allowed my boy when he was younger than 7.

Enjoy!! I may be down in Palm Dessert next weekend for the Thanksgiving weekend. After a week in Maui 2 weeks ago, I can veggie out in PD for sure!!

Al
fearlu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So mountain-biking it was. Never got the kids to leave the pool/waterslide except for cruiser rides on the flats. Try the climb to Murray Peak from the Von's parking lot in PS. Lung-buster fireroad start uphill, then hike-a-bike followed by GREAT gnarly single-track on the downhill. The locals have created excellent serpentine routes that will leave you stoked. Wear pads if you have them. The rocks in that desert are sharp.

Didn't even miss the wind. (Much...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: