myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WS & Mtn Bike in Santa Barbara Thanksgiving week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcevans

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: WS & Mtn Bike in Santa Barbara Thanksgiving week Reply with quote

My wife, dog & I are heading down to Santa Barbara from the Bay Area for Thanksgiving week, staying in Santa Maria & Santa Barbara a couple of nights each.

What's the WS like this time of year? Should I bring my boards (JP FSW 84 & Exocet Cross 117)? I'm an advanced sailor, but still a beginner in the waves, which I want to work on. If it's good where to go?

Also what's the mtn biking like, should we bring ours?

Thanks,
Tom
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forecast is for NE winds which don't work too well around here. If that doesn't happen and it stays foggy on the coast then check out Lopez lake while you are in Santa Maria. It is about 45 minutes north of there - exit In Arroyo Grande and go thru town then follow the signs. There is also moutain biking near Santa Barbara on the Camusa Rd back by Paradise camp but keep in mind this is used by ATV's and dirt bikes as well.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

With NE winds forecast, Port Hueneme can be quite windy in the morning, but the wind direction is nearly direct offshore. The angle has some side in it, so that it's not unreasonable. Typically, you can stay tight and set up nice smoking runs up and down the beach to the power plant and back.

Also, C Street in Ventura (adjacent to Ventura County Fairgrounds and the Derby Club) can often happen in the afternoon on NE wind days when the wind switches to a westerly thermal type wind. A really plus if there's a swell hitting.

Santa Barbara doesn't work very well with NE winds, and it doesn't pick up the afternoon westerly thermal that well as C Street.

Frankly, I doubt seriously whether Lopez will happen. It's a summer thermal scene normally where the wind direction is typically SW. Also, the projected Santa Ana wind (NE) is forecasted to be colder type event, and not the hotter type that ravaged southern California some weeks ago, so if some thermal action could possibly occur in the afternoon, it would be marginal.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sail-n-ski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to do some looking aroung in these forums (if you have not already) for some input on central cali rides. http://forums.mtbr.com/
Looks like there's some riding on Cabrillo Peaks trails in Morro Bay. Sailing is a long shot but you'll be in a beautiful part of the state so have some fun.
Greg
STEIN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa Barbara has some epic Mtn Biking, from Camino cielo down to montecito is a great ride. Also off of paradise road from San Marcos pass has plenty of rides. Check a local bike shop for maps. You'll love it!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mitch,

Sounds like a fairly light forecast NE wind, but still doable. It wise to rig on the big side and use a slalom board when its lighter, because it can tend to be light in spots close to shore, especially where you launch. To get the best indicator on wind speeds, often the Weather Channel includes Port Hueneme as part of their summary of conditions offered every 8 minutes. If it's missing in the report, Oxnard is the next best alternative. Also, PH and Leo can often be very close in wind speeds, so that's another indicator of sorts.

If you're coming up hwy 1, I would recommend getting off a Pleasant Valley Rd and take that west toward Port Hueneme. You turn left at I think Ventura Ave (there's a Taco Bell on the corner) and take that straight to the beach, where you again turn left going towards the pier. I go to the parking lot to the east of the parking lot right at the pier, and that's where the memorial is to honoring those that went down in a commercial jet airliner a number of years ago.

It's pay parking, and they do regularly enforce the policy. I've never worried much about thief or vandalism there, as there are large condominiums that are just across the street and many folks do walk about. There is a nice lawn to rig on right in front of your car.

To launch, it's best to walk to the east as you move to the shoreline, since it's best to get out of the wind shadow of the condo complexes.

If there is any sizable surf, it can be quite tricky getting out, especially since it's a port tack launch and you have to move down the beach to get outside the surfline. If you break a mast, that's where it will be. Also, the wind can be somewhat up and down in close. Once out, it's best to stay close to the wind and attempt to hang as tight as you can to the shoreline. By the time you get down around the power plant, you can be out a distance, but by pinching to windward for a number of runs you can ultimately pull in closer to the beach.

It's always a bit up and down in sections, but if it starts to really lighten up, I'd recommend not trying to press your luck too much. The place can shut off quite quickly, and you don't want to be way down by the power plant when it does. Also, the wind can rather quickly change direction to a westerly, so it's wise to keep an eye on many of the flags around to the west.

Well, that's about it. Except, I would ensure that your universal is in real good shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: