myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter time Sailing in SF Bay / Mont. Bay???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCSheridan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Winter time Sailing in SF Bay / Mont. Bay??? Reply with quote

Anybody have the 411 on Winter time sailing spots in the SF Bay / Monterey Bay Areas?
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: There are plenty of threads covering this look on page 2 Reply with quote

If you don't mind being frustrated and cold there are some occasional Storm front clearing winds . There just not very reliable you have to be there and act fast as they can be gone or change very fast. Last Saturday at Davenport it went from 19 to 30 and back to Zero in less than hour and a half. I think the whether report said it would be windy Monday and Tuesday man I'm having withdrawals symptoms. See page 2 on this forum for a 4 page thread on the subject also look at the Winter Wetsuit thread on the same page for further info.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: There are plenty of threads covering this look on page 2 Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
If you don't mind being frustrated and cold there are some occasional Storm front clearing winds.

Inland the air temps may be different between Jan & Jul, but on the water there is no difference to me. On the rare days it is "warm" on the water, there is no wind. I wear the same wetsuit year round when sailing on the bay.

Coachg
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it ain't winter yet but we're still getting West wind at Sherman Island. Water about 60 degrees. Nice.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Have any of you been sailing at Sherman lately ? Reply with quote

Its the hands and feet that get cold first and wind chill factor means you get cold sooner. Also I think the water temps have dropped a little along the coast from the unusually warm stuff we got this summer. It looks like Waddel
has some wind today.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from Sherman. Sunny, beautiful afternoon, 5.3 for me. Hands and feet not cold yet. About a dozen sailors out at the Access, same number of kiters. I sailed out of Rio Viento; nobody at the Sign or Powerlines. It's the Endless Summer! Very Happy
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great afternoon! I just got home from Sherman, great day good wind, a little fuller than yesterday, I was on a 5.7 having a blast. Life is good!
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to Sherman late but did enjoy the nice wind. Temps were not bad at all. It looked like summer with the fog holding just past Antioch.

Coachg
wndsrfrmn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Sherman Blows Reply with quote

We could see the fog over the mountain on a wonderful day of high teen winds. Had to quit at 5:00 as it was getting dark.
wndsrfrmn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Endless Season Reply with quote

I got some today.

The annual windsurfing season in the bay area starts on January 1st and ends the end of December. The guys I sailed with at Sherman today can be seen at Berkeley during a windy rain storm. In 1993 I was out on 18 seperate days riding the storm winds on the lakes around Sacramento. Last January I was puttering around Berkeley when a squall brought fierce winds and hail. Sailing over a couple inches of hail is like rollerskating on marbles. It stings a little when it hits your cheeks. It doesn't really get cold in the winter until you take off your wetsuit.

If you are willing to drive a little and react quickly to the conditions you can sail all year long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: