myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good north wind in the delta
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlester

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Good north wind in the delta Reply with quote

Is there any good spot to kite in the delta on north winds ?
sharkasm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Good north wind kiteing in the delta Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
veterduet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: north wind kiting in the delta Reply with quote

Where were you today? The wind was so-so for windsurfing but looked good for kiting at the county park area. There were only two of us hardy souls (windsurfers, that is) there. You do need to watch the ebb tide and the wind is more on-shore, so that may make it tougher for kiters.
dlester

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kite beach at the County park doesn't work very well for kiters on North or due South winds. We have lots of trouble getting our stuff in and out of the air from those directions, not to mention just plane shitty, gusty cold wind and few, if any, people to help you launch. Once in the air it wouldn't be to bad, it's just getting clear wind to launch at those angles that's tough. [/code]
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wind is North or NW, make the drive to Folsom Lake. There is a point next to Dyke 8 that many kiters use for NW wind.

Coachg
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look at Sandbar or the Jungle. I'm not a kiter, so I don't pay that much attention to kite-killer bushes and such. I've been waiting for the work to be finished on the levee near what used to be Glass Beach. They have added a lot of riprap offshore and have filled in with dirt and planted some sort of ground cover or ????? (temporary feces are up.) I saw someone kiting this summer on the San Joaquin near Bridgehead, North of the Antioch Bridge. Don't know if this would work on a North wind, but it might be worth looking at.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's FENCES!! Embarassed On the other hand, there are a lot of fishermen and no porta-potties.
donlord

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Rancho Seco Reply with quote

Folsom Lake is presently such low water that it is not worth the trip. Unpleasant rocks and rigging!
A few of us go to Rancho Seco in the winter, especially on the Northwest clearing winds or big southerly storms. It is off Twin Cities Road (go north on Route 5 maybe 15 minutes from route 12). Turn east on it and veer left at the "Y" when you are near the twin nuclear towers. Look for Rancho Seco Recreational Area, a SMUD facillty. It's maybe 35 minutes from Rio.
Here, you don't have to deal with the chop of Sherman Island and funky launches in the Rio Vista area.
It's nice, a small lake with a grassy rigging area, picnic tables, restrooms and two nice launch points along the lake.
Winds are gusty and holey, but, hey, they are north winds. Bring your big gear for most days, but I've been nearly blown off the lake on a 4.5 in 50 mph winds during a storm, and I weigh 220 lbs.
Look for winds reports for Wilton, Elk Grove and/or Mather areas for some indication of the probable wind.
Email me at dlord@macnexus.org for more info, or just to let me know you are going. Great to have other sailors there.
Pic below is from Margarita.

Don with Board.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  20103 Time(s)

Don with Board.jpg

jaakko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is Lake Camanche, already quite a bit of W from Delta but comparable to Rancho Seco. anyone on the list been there windsurfing/kiting?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaakko wrote:
how is Lake Camanche, already quite a bit of W from Delta but comparable to Rancho Seco. anyone on the list been there windsurfing/kiting?

No. But a buddy of mine who sails at Sherman lives near, and sails at Camanche quite often. It is similar to Seco with maybe a little less wind. Usually big gear, 8+ during the summer. Winter winds, it will be just as good/bad as any place in the valley.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: